Spamming and Phishing
E-mail is arguably the biggest threat to computer security at the moment. The majority of viruses are spread via e-mail, "phishing" attacks are on the increase, and the inconvenience caused by spam has reached an almost intolerable level.
No satisfactory solutions exist to eliminate all these threats, and the best most of us can do is to ensure that we do not inadvertently open e-mail viruses, we keep our personal information safe and make it as difficult, and less profitable, as possible for spammers.
This section includes information and practical advice on how to reduce the problem of e-mail based security threats.
- Strategies used by criminals/fraudsters to try to trick you into opening virus-infected emails
- How can I reduce the amount of spam I receive?
- Someone is sending email using my address!
- I got a bounce back from a message I never sent
- Beware of phishing emails asking for your username and password