NOTE: If you are using Wi-Fi, you must use hotspot-secure, eduroam will not work.
Step 1: Download and install the Kyocera driver package
- Download the driver package by clicking the image below. Once the download is finished run and complete the wizard.
|For Mac OS 10.5 - 10.8 download this||For Mac OS 10.8 or higher download this|
|Mac OS 10.5||Mac OS 10.8|
Step 2: Add printer
In System Preferences select Printers & Scanners
- Select the + sign in the window and then select Add printer
- When you are presented with the screen below and Advanced icon is missing, hold the Ctrl key and select the Default icon - Customize Toolbar...
- Drag the Advanced icon to the toolbar and click done
- 1&2: Select the advanced icon and then use the dropdown box to select Windows printer via spools
- 3: In the URL copy/paste
- 4: Give it a meaningful name, e.g. WBS Staff Printer
- 5: Use the drop down and choose Select Software
- If step 1 was completed you will find a list of drivers for the Kyocera printers,
use the Search box to filter on printer model 5551 and select Kyocera TASKalfa 5551ci (KPDL)
- Select OK and then Add, you will then be presented with the following screen to add the correct Paper feeders and Document finisher. Finally click OK to close the dialogue boxes.
Step 3: Printing for the first time
Before starting to print check which version of MacOS you are running (via the Apple icon > About this Mac). There are different instructions for Big Sur (MacOS 11 and MacOS 12 and above)
- Open your document and select print. Select the printer you created above. You should then be prompted for a username, please see below for the options
- Big Sur (MacOS 11) user? - enter your WBS username in the format wbsdom\WBSusername [and tick Remember this password in my keychain]
- Monterrey (MacOS 12+) user - enter your WBS username without any extra text at the beginning, just plain WBSusername
- [and tick Remember this password in my keychain]
- You should now be able to print from your Mac to a WBS shared printer. If you get stuck please email help at wbs dot ac dot uk.