IT Services have improved the process for logging in to the Managed Windows 7 Desktop when using a laptop away from the University. The aim is to provide a more consistent experience regardless of where you're working.
You can now choose to make a Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection to the University before you login to Windows, using a feature of the VPN called Start Before Login. The advantage in doing this when using the Managed Windows 7 Desktop is that you will be able to connect to our servers (rather than using locally cached credentials). This means that:
- You'll get any updates to software as usual.
- You'll be able to access the live version of your H: drive and any shared drives you have access to.
- You'll be able to install any software that's been made available for you on your shared drive.
- Any applications in the "IT Services Delivered Applications Folder" will work, even if you haven't used them before.
- You can install anything from the "Get More Apps…" screen as normal.
Essentially, things will work like they do on the on-campus network.
It's up to you whether or not to use Start Before Login. If you don't need any of the above, you don't have to change the way you use your laptop. Just log in as you have done previously and you will continue to access cached copies of your personal H: drive in "Offline Files" mode. Changes will be synchronised with the server when you next log in on the University network or with Start Before Login. Remember that updates can only be applied when you are on the University network or when you use Start Before Login.
How to access Start Before Login
For more information and details of how to access Start Before Login, visit the ITS website.