The University has negotiated a special cycle package with Albany Cycles in Earlsdon. Staff and students can take an advantage of a special offer of £150 for a Probike Escape Mountain Bike, cycle helmet, a six week service check and lots more. More details on the cycle discount
On the Road
- Make sure you know what's around you on the road and always look behind before changing direction or changing speed or signalling.
- Cycle well out from the kerb – a metre or so depending on conditions. Don't cycle closer in because you are being pressured from behind as this will give you less escape room and will encourage cars to overtake too closely.
- When turning right or using a roundabout, position yourself as you would in a car, using any turning lanes to the full.
- By law you are required to use lights when cycling at night. A white reflector on the front and spoke/pedal reflectors are also a good idea.
- Dress for visibility at night – a reflective jacket is ideal.
- Don't ride on pavements unless there are signs permitting this.
Before you Bike
- Check the brakes, tyres, and steering before every journey.
- Once a month, check the chain and gears.
- If you're travelling at night, make sure the lights are working.
- Make sure the bike is properly adjusted – wrongly positioned saddles and handlebars are uncomfortable and can affect control.
- It is a good idea to wear a cycle helmet that meets current safety standards.
Bicycle User Group (BUG)
The Environment Committee has a working party which looks at transport around campus, including cycling initiatives. Read more about the Bicycle User Group (BUG)
Student Support Services have produced a 'Safe Cycling' leaflet which gives advice and guidance on road and pedestrian safety, plus details of the free cycle registration scheme.
The Cyclists Touring Club (CTC) website is also worth a look. The CTC is the UK and Ireland's largest and longest established national cycling membership organisation. It was founded in 1878 as the Bicycle Touring Club and subsequently became the Cyclists' Touring Club.
To find details for accredited CTC instructors in the area and for Cycle Training Information, call 0870 607 0415 (office hours) or email email@example.com Or visit The CTC website for more information.