Skip to main content Skip to navigation

External Caterers

A Department employing the services of an external caterer to provide food , whether for sale or to be given away must check that:

  1. the caterer has public liability insurance - ask for a copy of thier insurance certificate;
  2. the caterers premises are registered with the Local Authority;
    • premises that sell or supply food for more than 5 days in any 5 weeks period must be registered with the local authority. You should ask for a copy of the most recent Environmental Health report.
    • food business operators must have in place, implement and maintain a food hazard analysis procedure based on the principles of HACCP. You should ask for a copy. This addresses:
      • procurement of food from reputable suppliers
      • safe storage and handling of food
      • cleaning and disinfection procedures for equipment and premises
  3. Transport used to deliver food to the University should be appropriate, clean and where applicable temperature controlled
  4. The caterers staff have food hygiene training. Food handlers and business operators must be trained to the required level of instruction, for example:
    • Food handlers; Level 2 Award in Food Safety in Catering
    • Supervisors; Level 3 Award in Food Safety in Catering
    • Manager/owner; Level 4 Award in Food Safety in Catering
      • ask for copies of their certificates
    • information on food allergens is provided
    • the caterer should provide information of those foods that contain one or more common food allergens to eliminate the risk of allergic reaction to customers

People ordering "fast food" etc should dispose of unwanted packaging and left overs appropriately and hygienically.