- Toxic gases must be used in ventilated cabinets.
- Pipe and systems for toxic gas must be checked for integrity (1)
- Check carefully for leaks.
- Risk assessments must be completed.
(1) Use a safe gas to test system.
Gas Cylinders - General Siting Guidance (for non toxic gases)
The hierarchy of control must be considered during the process of risk assessment when considering the best location for a gas cylinder.
- Oxygen must be used with care in metal pipework systems –particles will ignite in oxygen flowing at high speed , so turn on systems slowly.
General Guidance once a location has been identified (other gases)
- Place the cylinder in an upright position
- Place the cylinder in an unobstructed position
- Place away from sources of heat or cold [ cryogens]
- Place the cylinder tag on the indicator hook
- Fit the correct regulator to the cylinder.
- Check regulator control is in low pressure position.
- Check all connections for tightness.
- Open the cylinder delivery valve slowly.
- Adjust the regulator slowly to desired pressure.
- Check for leaks.