USS members, or those eligible to join (staff at grade 5 and above), were invited to join a briefing session during the Autumn term 2021 about the USS pensions consultation. You can find out more below and watch a recording.
An explanatory email that provides more detail about the proposed pension changes and the associated consultation was sent to staff on 27 October 2021, and you can also learn more on the USS consultation website.
About the briefings
The presentations focused on the consultation material and modellers on offer, how to use them, what they show, and how to feedback into the consultation, and were presented by Mike Harrison from Mercer’s Higher Education Group.
Previous webinars in November explained current benefits, what benefit changes are proposed and what will happen if there are no benefit changes.
To find out more detail about the background to the consultation, you can:
- Read a summary of the proposed USS changes and key perspectives to review (8 September)
- Get a perspective from Stuart Croft, Vice-Chancellor (22 September)
- Read a response to a UCU message (7 October)
- See an outline of the University’s position on USS and Q&As on pension reform (18 October)
- Read a perspective from the Vice-Chancellor on the UCU re-ballot (1 December)
Respond to the USS consultation
We encourage you to use the modeller to see how the proposed changes may affect your benefits and contributions.
Please explore the consultation website to find out more, use the modeller and respond to the consultation by 17 January 2022.