This tool allows the microphones in certain rooms to connect to various virtual meeting spaces. It facilitates the following features:
- Bridging together physical teaching spaces and virtual meeting rooms.
- Support for blended delivery models supporting face to face and distanced learning.
- Cross platform support enables functionality with any virtual platform from Blackboard Collaborate, Microsoft Teams, StarLeaf and more...
Take time to view our FAQ and Tips
Where can I use on-site Microphones with Teams?
We'll roll out MS Teams Wireless Microphones one room at a time in Centrally Timetabled Teaching Rooms.
Use the MS Teams Wireless Microphones check box under the Facilities Search on our supported areas page to see a list of suitably equipped rooms. You can also specify other criteria that are important to your teaching to further filter the list.
You will find this technology reflected on the Centrally Timetabling Booking system as:
- ‘TEAMS - AUDIO ONLY’ = MS Teams Wireless Microphones
It is also possible to share video content through Teams via:
- Screen Sharing
- Document Camera/Visualiser
It is important that lectures and presenters act as a relay between online and physical spaces. In order for both virtual and physical classrooms to follow class discussion repeating audience questions and summarising comments made both online and in person is essential.
The MS Teams Microphones can be heard in the virtual meeting, on any scheduled lecture capture or recording and in the physical room simultaneously.
MS Teams Microphones allows lecturers and presenters to teach to both physical and virtual classrooms at the same time.
It is not recommended that microphones be passed between multiple individuals. See our Cleaning and Hygiene Guidance for instruction on what to do before and after use.
For support with AV equipment in rooms, please contact the Audio Visual team on 024 765 22463
For support with Teaching with Teams, please see the IT Training Team pages.
For support with other aspects of teaching using classroom technologies, please contact the Academic Technology team via the online Help Desk.
If you feel like the technology in the room does not meet the standard you require, please contact our colleagues in Space Management. Please provide as much detail as possible to aid their response. firstname.lastname@example.org
How to use on-site Microphones with Teams?
- Switch the system on via the control touch panel on the lectern.
- Log in to the desktop PC with your username and password.
- Take the microphone out of the charging dock and ensure it is switched on and attached appropriately.
- Load up the Microsoft Teams application from the inbuilt desktop and either conduct a Test Call or Join your Meeting. Alternative virtual meeting platforms are also supported.
- Ensure your microphone is audible within the meeting and that you can hear everyone else in the meeting. Should you have an issue with this see our Troubleshooting & Tips below.
- Once your meeting has finished log out and place the microphone back in the charging dock.
Troubleshooting & Tips
Remember to ensure the microphone is switched on and properly placed. For more information on using our microphones see our Training Guides.
Test call: You can make a Test Call on Teams to check if MS Teams Wireless Microphones is picking up audio from the microphones before you start or join a meeting.
No audio: Check the sound is not muted on the touch panel, PC or meeting toolbar. Ensure the PC system sound is also set to the correct device settings.
- Open the Control Panel on the PC from the search bar in the bottom left.
- Click on Sounds.
- Under the Playback Tab the default device should be set to 'ExtronScalerD' or 'Extron HDMI'.
- Under the recording tab the default device should be set to Microphone 'Scarlet 2i2 USB'.
- Ensure the settings in Microsoft Teams also reflects these same device settings.