Best Practice Use
When do I need to use the VPN service ?
The VPN service is designed to enable users a secure and easy method, for light use, to access university network resources not normally available when off campus.
You need the VPN when:
- You want to use off campus wireless, (i.e. when you are working remotely at home, or coffee shops and any free wireless establishments), and need secure access to University of Warwick resources mentioned in the bullet points below, where you will need to use the VPN for those services.
- You want to access University of Warwick network resources not normally available when off campus.
- You want to access resources on the internet that are limited to academic institutions.
- You want to access files stored locally on your office PC or use an application which is only licensed to operate from your office PC via a remote desktop application.
- You want to access your personal "H" drive home folders and documents, or your "M" drive departmental shared folders and documents upon a managed desktop. Please click here for more information in relation to accessing your files.
- When working from home (WFH) you should be connecting your managed desktop to the VPN regularly to ensure optimal stability of your managed desktop. This will help to sync your offline files, application and group policy updates, providing a similar experience as when working on campus. Offline files are from the last time the documents folder was synchronised with your central H:drive. From that point they are cached locally and any new documents or existing ones are only stored locally.
- Access to the VPN on your managed desktop ensures it remains managed, i.e. continued access to application deployment technologies such as the Software Center and the licensing of the copy of Windows installed upon your desktop via the Key Management Services.
You don't need the VPN when:
- You want to access your University email using Office 365 - Please click here for more information about using Office 365 for email access.
- You want to upload and store, share folders and send files to others using the Files.Warwick service - Please click here for more information about using Files.Warwick.
- You want to access SITS or SAP services using the Workspace service - Please click here for more information about accessing the SITS or SAP services using Workspace.
- You don't need the VPN to pickup up Windows, Office 365 and Antivirus updates.