Content types indexed by Warwick Search
Warwick Search indexes different types of content from SiteBuilder, the Warwick Research Archive Portal (WRAP) and the campus map.
In this article:
Standard SiteBuilder pages
The search engine indexes the content of standard SiteBuilder pages, including surrounding content in page templates such as calendars and resource bookings.
The indexer parses the raw HTML and removes any HTML tags, leaving the page content itself. The indexer also indexes the description property, which isn't visible on the page.
News and calendar pages
The search engine indexes news and calendar page templates, particularly the Abstract and Detail fields of news and calendar items.
Documents, spreadsheets and presentations
The search engine attempts to read common file formats and convert them to text, which is then searchable:
- Word documents (.docx, .doc)
- Excel spreadsheets (.xlsx, .xls)
- PowerPoint presentations (.pptx, .ppt)
- Rich Text Format documents (.rtf)
- .pdf documents
- PostScript documents (.ps)
Warwick Search indexes these files in the same way as it indexes standard SiteBuilder pages. Their Short title shows as the title in search results. The Description is a ranking factor, as well as the file's content.
Images, audio and video
Search results include .gif, .jpg and .png images, .mp3 audio files, and .mp4 videos. The Short title, Description and Keywords file properties are ranking factors.
Warwick Research Archive Portal
Research papers stored in WRAP (Warwick Research Archive Portal), the University's institutional open access research repository.
Staff members' name, telephone and email – and students' name, email and department – are indexed by Warwick Search. By default, search results include the name and department of any staff member who matches your search query. You need to be signed in to see the following information in search results:
- staff telephone numbers and email addresses
- student names and email addresses
The search engine indexes the year, department, module code and title of past exam papers made available by University departments.
Related help articles
- Search for past exam papers
- Search for people at Warwick
- Improve a SiteBuilder page's rank in search engine results
- Add a live search box to a SiteBuilder page
- Refine your search
- Ranking factors
- Content types indexed by Warwick Search
- Remove pages or files from search results
- RSS and JSON feeds of search results
Email webteam at warwick dot ac dot uk