What are page properties?
The settings you specify in page properties determine:
- what the page is called
- whether the page is displayed in the local navigation menu or not
- whether search engines can index the page or not
- the page contact
- display settings specific to the active page template
The properties play an important part in how visitors find your page through search or menu navigation, and how they orient themselves when they arrive at your page.
View or edit page properties
- Browse to the page you wish to edit.
Go to Edit > Edit page properties. You can see properties similar to the following:
Enter the Page heading – this displays at the top left of the web page beneath the navigation menu and in Warwick Search results. Write a descriptive, unambiguous heading so that a visitor can quickly determine what they can expect to find on the page and whether it's relevant to them. For example:
English and Italian literature reading group
is a better page heading than:
Enter the title bar caption – this displays in the visitor's web browser window or tab, and external search results pages. The property populates your page's
<title>meta tag, an important factor in search ranking performance. Try to write title bar captions with less than 60 characters, as Google typically displays the first 50-60 characters.
- Enter the link caption – this displays in the local navigation menu.
Specify the page contact – this appears in the page's footer. It's the main means for Warwick staff and external visitors to contact the page owner.
Tip: for departmental web pages, we recommend that you use a resource email account rather than a named individual. There are two benefits:
- It's usually helpful to route queries to a single email account, which is monitored by more than one person
- When individuals leave the University, you don't need to identify and update all their web pages
- At the right of the Editing page properties screen, you can see Change page template & options. Select the arrow to expand the options and view all available templates.
Expand the Advanced properties section by clicking the arrow. Each property has a help icon; select these for further information.
- Once you've finished editing the page properties, select Save changes.
Email webteam at warwick dot ac dot uk
How to report a problem