Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Tier 1 Entrepreneur


Who is the route for?

The Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) category of the Points Based System is for those investing in the United Kingdom by setting up or taking over, and being actively involved in the running of one or more businesses in the (UK) United Kingdom.

Will I qualify under this route?

You may qualify under this route if you are able to score the required number of points. Under Tier 1 (Entrepreneur), you must score:

To obtain further information on how you are awarded points, please see the UKVI Policy Guidance

What are the main requirements under this route?

The main requirements of Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) for an initial application are:

  • you can demonstrate that you intend and are able to establish, take over or become a director of one or more businesses in the UK

  • within six months of your application under this scheme you must register with Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) as self-employed, and/or must register your new business or as director of an existing business within six months of arriving in the UK or having been granted leave under this category in the UK

  • you will not take employment except for your own business

  • your English language is at a required level; a UK degree is evidence that you meet this requirement

  • you meet a requirement to hold a certain level of funds to support yourself

  • you intend to invest a required sum of money in your business or businesses

What amount of investment do I need to demonstrate?

The amount of money you are required to invest in your business depends on your current immigration permission or where you apply. The Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) policy guidance explains more about the acceptable sources of funds you can rely on.

I am applying from outside the UK?

If you apply from outside the UK, you will have to demonstrate you have access to not less than £200,000.

I am applying in the UK and hold a Tier 4 visa?

If you have Tier 4 or pre-Tier 4 student leave you must have access to not less than £50,000 and your funds must be from one or more of the following sources only:

  • one or more UK Entrepreneurial seed funding competitions which is listed as endorsed on the UK Trade & Investment website
  • one or more UK Government Departments, or Devolved Government

  • Departments in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, and made available by the Department(s) for the specific purpose of establishing or expanding a UK business

I am applying in the UK and hold a Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur visa?

If you have Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) you can apply from the UK but must have access to not less than £50,000.

I am applying in the UK and hold a different type of visa?

You need to check if you are permitted to switch into a Tier 1(Entrepreneur) visa. If you are you will have to demonstrate you have access to not less than £200,000.

How long will I be granted a visa?

Leave will be granted for 3 years 4 months if applied for from overseas or 3 years if applied for from the UK. There is a possibility to apply to extend your visa under this category for a further two years if you still meet the requirements

Once you have completed 5 years in this route and if you continue to meet the requirements, you may be eligable to apply for settlement.

Where can I go for further information?

The University of Warwick only provides limited advice and information under this category. If you want to find out more about this visa route, please visit the Home Office website.

You can find a list of contact details below should you wish to find out more about the Tier 1 Entrepreneur route. If you would like to seek further advice and support with a Tier 1 Entrepreneur application, you can find useful information below.


The UK Council for International Student Affairs is the national organisation, which gives advice to international students studying in the UK and work options after study. They have information on their website about how to apply for a Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa

Coventry Law Centre:
The Law Centre offers free specialist immigration advice and is situated in the centre of Coventry at: Oakwood House, St Patricks Road Entrance, Coventry, CV1 2HL (next door to JobCentre Plus). or
Tel: 024 7622 3053. Opening hours are Monday to Thursday 9am until 5pm and Friday 9am until 4.30pm.

* Immigration Law Practitioners’ Association (ILPA):
Legal professionals who specialise in immigration law are often members of this association. You can search their database for a local solicitor who specialises in the area for which you require assistance. or
Tel: 0207 251 8383
* The Law Society:
This is the professional association, which regulates the legal profession and all reputable solicitors are members. You can search their database for an immigration law solicitor in your area. or tel: 0370 606 2555
* Remember to check the fee a solicitor will charge you before you book a consultation.