Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Information for students required to take resit exams

I am a student banner section image

Are you required to take resit exams?

Frequently asked questions

Please click on the relevant section below to expand the guidance.
  • If you are a student enrolled on an undergraduate or postgraduate taught (Master's) course, hold a Student Visa (or Tier 4 visa) and have been informed that you are required to resit an exam/multiple exams before you will be permitted to proceed to the next stage of your study, then the information on this webpage is relevant to you.

    If you have only just been informed that you are required to resit an exam(s) and your status is currently, or is about to be changed to, 'Resit without Residence', you should read the information on this webpage carefully along with the information on 'Withdrawals and Breaks in Study' and take the appropriate actions.

    Please remember that you are expected to spend your period of 'Resit without Residence' (or Temporary Withdrawal) outside of the UK, unless you switch to a different visa category.

    Once you leave the UK you should not attempt to re-enter the UK with your original Student (or Tier 4) visa, as this break in study will have been reported to the Home Office UK Visas & Immigration and it is likely that action will have been taken to curtail (cut short) your visa.

  • The UKVI considers examinations to be engagement with study, therefore, you must hold suitable immigration permission which permits study in order to sit an examination, even if only entering the UK for a short period of time.

    Suitable type of visas for resitting exams include:

    If you are an undergraduate student and have re-sit examinations in Term 3 (usually April -June), you should receive an email from the Immigration Service in February/March with more detailed information about how to obtain the necessary information/documentation from the University in support of your visa application.

    It will be useful for you to read your visa options below and prepare the necessary documentation in good time.

  • If the date of your examination(s), or official expected return date (if the examination date is not yet known), falls no more than 60 days before the date that you are expected to fully resume your studies, it will be possible for the University to sponsor you under the Student Route.

    In the case of undergraduates only, the official University vacation periods can be discounted from this calculation.

    If you are expected to resit more than one examination, the gap between each examination should not exceed 60 days in order for the University to be able to sponsor a Student Visa.

    Once you have submitted a remote CAS request, the Immigration Service will liaise with your department/exams office to double check whether it is possible to sponsor you for a Student Visa for your resit examination(s). If this is not possible (due to the timing of your exam(s)), you will be advised to apply for a Standard Visit Visa instead.

    If the University can sponsor you under the Student Route, you will receive email correspondence regarding a CAS which will allow you to apply for a new Student Visa to enter the UK for your resit examination(s) and to remain in the UK until the end date of your course.

    If, following the official result of the resit/resubmission of course work, your status does not return to 'fully enrolled' (for example, if the exam board decide that you will be withdrawn from the programme) then the University will not be able to continue sponsoring your Student Visa. A report will be made to the Home Office which will result in the curtailment of your Student Visa in due course. For more information on visas please see the pages on Withdrawals and Breaks in Study and Curtailment.

    For postgraduate taught students who are required to resit an examination in order to pass the taught part of the course before progressing to the dissertation stage, the date of the Exam Board is considered the date of resumption of studies when calculating the length of the gap between the examination and the return to 'fully enrolled' status. If this gap exceeds 60 days then it will not be possible for the University to offer student visa sponsorship.

  • This visa category is suitable for those students entering the UK for a short period of time to resit an exam/exams.

    It will be necessary to apply for a Standard Visit Visa if you will not be resuming full time study within 60 days of the date of the last examination, or where there are gaps between resit examinations of more than 60 days.

    In these circumstances, the University is not able to meet the requirements of its student sponsor license duties and is, therefore, not in a position to sponsor a student visa until you return to more regular engagement with your studies.

    If your circumstances dictate that you could apply for either a Standard Visit Visa or a Student Visa, you may wish to read the information about the Standard Visit Visa on our webpage before making your decision as to which visa to apply for. The same web page gives you information about the application process, and about whether you need to apply before coming to the UK.

    If you decide to apply for a Standard Visit Visa, you will need to contact your Academic Department to ask them to produce a letter to support your immigration application, or to show upon entry to the UK.

    You cannot switch from a Standard Visit visa to a Student Visa from within the UK. This means that, even if the results of your exams mean you can continue your course, you will usually need to leave the UK and make a further Student Visa application outside of the UK to return to your regular studies.

  • Please read the information on our dedicated Student Visa web page and make a remote CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) request.

  • Yes, you should present any new immigration permission to the Immigration and Compliance Team as soon as you return to the UK so that your record can be updated and documents scanned, as per the advice on our Immigration Responsibilities web page.

    Please provide scans of your new visa to enable your re-enrolment.