The University of Warwick is firmly committed to the principles of sustainability. The University recognises that its activities impact upon the environment through its routine internal operations, its infrastructural development and its influence on the wider community.
The University acknowledges a responsibility for, and a commitment to, the protection of the environment at all levels.
The University will endeavour to exceed the requirements of relevant environmental legislation, is committed to environmental performance improvement and will:
- Seek to integrate a consideration of environmental issues into all relevant aspects of the University’s teaching and research activities;
- In conjunction with local, national and other agencies, promote and raise awareness of good environmental management policies and practices among staff, students and other stakeholders across the University;
- Promote a purchasing policy which favours those products and services which cause the least harm to the environment;
- Continue to reduce the consumption of primary raw materials (including fossil fuels, water and energy) and seek to enhance the contribution of energy efficient, low carbon measures, recyclable components and renewables;
- Implement sound long-term waste management strategies to reduce overall waste production and increase the recycled component of the waste stream;
- Encourage and facilitate sustainable modes of transport to, from and within the University;
- Develop and maintain the grounds and buildings of the University in an environmentally sensitive way, seeking to protect and enhance natural habitats and biodiversity.
How does this work through the University structure?
1 - University of Warwick strategy - Strategic commitment to sustainable growth
2 - University of Warwick Environmental Policy - University Environmental Policy
3 - Environment Sustainability responsibility at Executive Office
Chris Ennew; University of Warwick Provost
- To monitor procedures and practices across the University relating to compliance with the University’s Environmental Policy and with performance against the University’s environmental targets.
- To promote good practice within the University in the conservation of natural resources and reduction of waste and pollutants.
Stuart Croft, Vice-Chancellor & President, University of Warwick