Jenny Alexander studied Art History at the University of East Anglia and archaeology at Nottingham University. She has taught in undergraduate and adult education departments of various universities and worked as a consultant archaeologist on medieval and early-modern sites and buildings before moving to Warwick. She is also consultant to the masons' marks recording project for the Works Department of Trondheim Cathedral (Norway). Dr Alexander is a member of the department's 'British Art & Architecture since 1750' research cluster.
Medieval Art and Architecture especially the study of medieval and early modern buildings, their construction and use. Further Information
Teaching and supervision
Modules taught include:
- Introduction to Art History: Classicism and the Arts of Christianity
- The Art and Architecture of Medieval Devotion
- The Architecture of the Age of Chivalry
- From Fortress to Country House
- Deconstructing Medieval and Early Modern Buildings
- Director of Undergraduate Studies
- Senior Tutor
- Undergraduate Admissions Officer
- Open Day Co-ordinator
- Undergraduate Study Skills Co-ordinator
- Undergraduate Studies Committee Board
- SSLC Liaison
- Stonemasons' Marks on Buildings in Britain. In progress.
- 'Melbourne Church, Derbyshire', in Jessica Mace (ed.), A Medieval Legacy: The Ongoing Life of Forms in our Built Environment. Forthcoming.
- 'Was the Builder of the 'Crazy Vault' Actually Crazy? Reaction and Response in the Thirteenth Century at Lincoln Cathedral', in Niamh NicGhabhann and Danielle O'Donovan (eds), Mapping new territories in art and architectural history: Essays in Honour of Roger Stalley, (Turnhout, 2020)
- ‘The Lincoln Judgement Portal’, in U. Engel and S. Albrecht, (eds), Die Archaologie des mittelalterlichen Portals, (Bamberg, 2020).
- 'Alabaster Carvings from Late-Medieval Lincolnshire', in Z. Murat (ed.), English Alabaster Carvings and their Cultural Contexts, (Woodbridge 2019), 150-72.
- Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries
- Associate of the International Center for Medieval Art, 2013-17
- PhD (Nottingham)
- BA (UEA)
Director of Undergraduate Studies & Senior Tutor
Tel: +44 (0)24 7652 3005
University of Warwick
Advice and Feedback hours
Tuesdays 3-5pm, or email me if it's urgent