Please note: this module will not be offered in 2023-24
Higher Intermediate. This module follows on naturally from Russian 4. This will offer continuity of learning for those who have completed the 4th level module (or equivalent) and an opportunity for those with some knowledge to work at an appropriate level to develop their knowledge of the language.
This module will strengthen reading and writing skills and will also reinforce the communicative skills acquired during previous study of the Russian language. Students will gain further insights into the culture and society of Russia. This module will offer a more advanced study of language structure and syntax and concentrate on using the target language for discussing and analysing topical issues in Russia.
One 2-hour language class each week for 21 weeks
Students are reminded that 1 credit = 10 hours of study, therefore the minimum expected amount of study is 240 hours, which averages over 10 hours per week. A substantial amount of independent study is therefore required. Students can make use of moodle (a virtual learning environment) to facilitate this.
"Обсуждаем глобальные проблемы, повторяем русскую грамматику". Н.В.Баско. Москва: Русский язык. Курсы, 2017. ISBN: 978-5-88337-166-9
Check the full reading list here
These modules offer students the opportunity
- to practise their communication skills, both listening and speaking, in order to take part in conversation and discussion in a range of predictable social and work-related contexts;
- to improve their ability to read and translate texts of a range of register and topics: stories from classical Russian literature and articles on history, culture and contemporary society of the Russian speaking world.
The stimulus material (aural, written and visual) will not only provide the basis for consolidation of Russian grammar but also give the students further insights into everyday life in the Russian speaking countries.
By the end of the module students will have:
- developed competence in a broad range of complex and non-routine language tasks across a wide and often variety of contexts
- consolidated and expanded listening, reading, writing and speaking skills at an advanced level, improved awareness and knowledge of life and culture in Russia, increased their knowledge of grammar, syntax and register
You will be able to:
- understand and produce the main ideas of complex text on concrete and abstract topics
- understand extended speech in a variety of contexts, and the gist of most current affairs programmes and films (including implied meaning), read articles and reports concerned with contemporary problems
- read articles and reports concerned with contemporary problems
- interact with fluency and spontaneity, and account for and sustain viewpoints
- write clear detailed text on a wide range of subjects; explain viewpoints on topical issues, giving advantages and disadvantages
The syllabus will include the following:
work and study, aspects of Russian history, culture and politics, people and environment
This module covers items such as: revision and consolidation of most complex aspects of Russian grammar & syntax