This level is applied to a limited number of Language Centre courses as a bridge between Intermediate and Advanced 1. You will probably have completed over 200 hours of tuition or had some learning of the language in post-compulsory schooling at least AS level grades A & B or A2 level up to grade C or equivalent. While being able to express yourself reasonably well and quite accurately, some of the language spoken at native speaker speed still escapes you and feel the need for more intensive practice, both in speaking and in writing.
The course will improve your competence in an increasing range of factual, persuasive and expressive language tasks performed in a variety of contexts.
Please read our Can-do Statements (link on the right of this page) to see the competences which you will be working towards and can achieve by the end of the year.
1 x 2 hour class per week plus some independent learning.
Course Texts (must be bought by student):
- Nuevo Prisma B1 - Libro del alumno + CD + Extension digital. Edinumen. ISBN: 978-84-9848-637-7. New edition.
- Recommended: Nuevo Prisma B1 - Libro de ejercicios + Extensión digital. Edinumen. ISBN: 978-84-9848-639-1
- A copy can be purchased from the University Bookshop.
Based on a step-by-step approach, the course is divided into learning blocks each of which focuses on practical, useful and manageable language.
You will develop cultural awareness of the Spanish speaking world.
You will have access to online resources for a more independent learning.
Homework tasks will be set each week to consolidate what you have learnt in class.
- Spanish around the world;
- social norms;
- travel and holidays;
- social networks;
- Fair Trade;
- revision of past tenses;
- present subjunctive;
- future perfect;
- perfect subjunctive;
- indefinite pronouns;
- contrast between subjunctive and indicative;
- ‘ser’ and ‘estar’;
- expressions followed by the subjunctive;
- the subjunctive when expressing feelings;
- ‘por’ and ‘para’.
- listening, speaking, reading and writing.