This section of the website Elizabethan and Jacobean Drama contains thousands of bibliographical entries on the five dramatists and the nine respective plays.
An individual bibliography database covering three main areas: editions, criticism and production reviews of respective playtexts has been compiled for each playwright. Each individual bibliographical entry has been coded and tagged for user friendly search by:
- entry type (criticism, editions, production, bibliography, passim, context, screenplay, and performance script);
- century (from the 16th to the 21th century);
- year (from 1594 to 2007);
- authorship (playwright, critic, director, reviewer);
- media (print, electronic, microfilm);
- location (Warwick Library, Beyond Warwick Library, open access website, lost).
For edition entries, the databases can also be searched by:
- edition type (single play, anthology of plays, anthology of authors, complete works, etc);
Entries on criticism can also be searched by:
- source type (book, book section(s), article(s) in collection, journal article, journal review, newspaper review, programme, radio review, etc);
For productions entries, the databases also allow searches by:
- venue (RSC, Old Vic, Cottesloe, Lyttelton, Swan, Pit, Christ Church, St Edmund Hall, The Mint, etc);
- production type (professional, amateur, tour, transfer, revival, and radio);
Entries for major works (such as editions and main critical studies) also include information on reviews, reprints and later editions. University of Warwick Library classmarks for printed resources and/or links for electronic sources have been provided where available. Coding work has begun in order to provide an accurate set of content tags for each bibliographical entry.
For contributions and/or submission of bibliography entries, contact Dr Nicoleta Cinpoes.