Department Guidelines: Hospitality and Presenter Fees
The School for Cross-Faculty Studies welcomes internal and external speakers to its Research and Pedagogy Seminar Series. The School is home to three divisions, Liberal Arts, Global Sustainable Development and the Institute for Global Sustainable Development.
Internal Speakers (members of staff in the School) are encouraged to propose themselves. Internal Speakers from within the University of Warwick Community are welcome and should be proposed using the guidelines for External Speakers, below:
External Speakers should be proposed according to the following criteria:
- Quality of their intellectual output
- Relevance of the proposed topic to the research or pedagogic practice within the School
- Feasibility of inviting them to our campus
The School agrees to cover the speaker’s travel expenses, as outlined below:
- Second Class train travel within the UK to Coventry Rail Station (Canley Station, Tile Hill, Kenilworth stations are acceptable)
- A return bus ticket
- A two-way taxi fare from Coventry Rail Station to campus (Canley Station, Tile Hill. Kenilworth stations are acceptable)
In addition, The School agrees to fund a Hospitality fee consisting of
- Lunch or Dinner on campus to include the Proposer and Speaker (if additional members of staff wish to join in, then this should be made explicit in the Additional Comments Box in the Online Proposal Form)
The School will not cover the following:
- Air Fare
- Travel fees for additional guests, unless they are actively involved in the presentation (this should be clearly outlined in the narrative provided on page 2)
- Overnight accommodation (the proposer has the opportunity to make a case for this expense in the Additional Comments Box on page 2)
- Speaker fee
The School will typically
- host 4 Seminars in each of terms 1 and 2.
- host 2 Seminars in term 3.
- provide hot and cold drinks and a selection of nibbles.
The Form is received by the Research Seminar Steering Group: A decision is made either to proceed to the Office, or to return to the proposer for additional information.
The Steering Group allocates a slot within the academic Calendar.
The Office Calculates the costs. If the Costs are within the agreed guidelines, the Proposal is approved; otherwise it is forwarded to the HoS for further scrutiny
The proposer is notified of an outcome.