- Born in Dublin.
- Studied Theoretical Physics at Trinity College Dublin.
- Spent some time in Guatemala working here http://www.openwindowsfoundation.com/.
- PhD topic: Modelling endemic foot-and-mouth disease in Turkey. Epidemic predictions with imperfect data.
The ultimate goal of my PhD is to develop a data based model of endemic foot and mouth disease in Turkey. The model will be novel in that not only will it deal with an endemic disease but will contain multiple strains of foot and mouth.
To develop my model I have access to a large database of individual cattle movements in Turkey for the last 10 years I also have records detailed every reported case of foot and mouth disease over the last 10 years. A key component of the modelling will be parameter estimation and we'll do this using a Bayesian framework such as MCMC or ABC.
I create most of my models in MatLab before recoding in C++ to try and increase simulation speed. I've also dabbled in a bit of Python and Fortran.
Selected list of conferences and study groups attended
- Student Conference on Complexity Science, Granda, September 2015 (Oral Presentation)
- Postgraduate Research Showcase, University of Warwick, June 2015 ( Poster Presentation)
- Open Session of the European Commission for the Control of Foot-and-Mouth Disease, Cavtat, October 2014 (Oral Presentation)
- Student Conference on Complexity Sciences, Brighton, August 2014 (Poster Presentation)
- inter-Disciplaniary, inter-DTC conference, Oxford, June 2014 ( Poster Presentation, awarded prize for Best Poster)
- European Conference on Mathematical and Theoretical Biology, Gothenburg, June 2014
- European Conference on Complex Systems, Barcelona, September 2013
- Student Conference on Complexity Sciences, Oxford, August 2013 (Principal Organiser)
91st European Study Group with Industry, Bristol, April 2013, (Optimisation of car park designs http://www.maths.bris.ac.uk/~marp/studyGroupReport.pdf)
- Student Conference on Complexity Sciences, Gloucester, August 2012
- *Epidemic predictions in an imperfect world: modelling disease spread with partial data. - Peter M. Dawson, Marleen Werkman, Ellen Brooks-Pollock, and Michael J. Tildesley (2015) Proceedings of the Royal Society B, 282(1808). http://dx.doi.org/10.1098/rspb.2015.0205.
- Size-dependent mobility of gold nano-clusters during growth on chemically modified graphene. -Gavin R. Bell, Peter M. Dawson, Priyanka A. Pandey, Neil R. Wilson and Paul A. Mulheran, (2014) APL Mat. 2, 012109. http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4862696.
*open access publications