The neighborhood of the University of Warwick has many tourist attractions that you can visit during your free time before or after ICALP.
- Kenilworth is a beautiful, small neighboring town, around 10 minutes by taxi from the campus (around 45-60 minutes walk). Kenilworth has its well known castle; alas, now these are mostly ruins, but it is still a really beautiful place, worth visiting during a nice day. Kenilworth has also several good restaurants.
- Warwick town (a few miles away from the campus) has one of the most impressive and frequently visited castles in the UK. It is a very recommended place to visit, suitable for all - adults and kids. The town is about 15-20 minutes by taxi and has several nice restaurants.
- Royal Leamington Spa (aka Leamington Spa), a fashionable town with beautiful Georgian and Victorian architecture is a few miles away from the campus and Kenilworth (20+ minutes by taxi). They have a good selection of restaurants and pubs, and some night clubs.
- Stratford upon Avon, the birthplace of Shakespeare and one of the main tourist attractions in United Kingdom is about 20 miles away from the campus (30 minutes by car); see also this link, and if you want to visit Shakespeare houses then please follow this link. One of the main attractions in the town is the famous "Shakespeare" theatre, owned by the Royal Shakespeare Company, with an outstanding program of classical performances (RSC is arguably the most famous classical theatre company in the world). If you are a theater aficionado or Shakespeare fan then this is a must place to visit. Tickets can be still booked on the RSC web page; but be aware, for good plays, tickets for good seats are hard to get (see here). Stratford has also a good selection of restaurants and pubs, and some night clubs (ask Artur if you need more details).
- Cotswolds, one of the most romantic areas of UK ("one of the most 'quintessentially English' and unspoiled regions of England"), is about 20-30 miles away (south) from the campus.
- Of course, you can also travel to London... where among many attractions, the following are especially worthy:
- If you have spare time on the weekend before ICALP you may want to get tickets for the final games at Wimbledon.
- ... or you may want to go to see Formula 1 race in Silverstone.
- If you are staying in the UK after the conference, you may want to attend "the ultimate ICALP 2012 satellite events" during London Olympic Games.