MITN Linguistic Landscaping Competition 2021
Writing competition exploring linguistic landscapes
Brief: Explore a linguistic landscape
MITN invites students of the University of Warwick; Monash University, Australia; and the EUTOPIA Multilingualism Learning Community to explore the linguistic landscape of a site of your choice and write an analysis (250-500 words) of the use of language(s) on signs in your chosen site. You can explore your chosen site by taking photographs of the language used on signs, or by examining existing photographs drawn from online platforms. The aim of the competition is to reflect on how the use of language(s) in signs relates to the identities, ideologies and/or use of language(s) by speakers in the area.
Your analysis should;
- Explore signs in a single individual site, which may be, but is not limited to, a building, campus, or settlement.
- Include examples of the language under study, either as textual quotes or photographs.
Submissions will be judged on the following criteria;
- Response to the aims of the MITN Linguistic Landscaping Competition 2021
- Selection of research site
- Focus and clarity of argument construction
- Quality of analysis
Submission deadline: Sunday 14th November 2021, 23:59 GMT
Prizes: Amazon vouchers
First Prize £100, Second Prize £75, Third Prize £50
Feel free to use the following resources as inspiration for your submission;