Julian W. Gardner
Professor of Electronic Engineering
BSc(Birm), PhD(Camb), DSc(Warwick), CEng, FREng, FIEE, SMIEEE, FInstP
Engineering Bldg. A318
J.W.Gardner AT warwick.ac.uk
Julian Gardner is Professor of Electronic Engineering in the School of Engineering at Warwick University. He is author or co-author of over 400 technical papers and patents as well as six technical books in the area of microsensors and machine olfaction. He is Series Editor for a books series by Wiley-VCH. He is a fellow of the IEE and senior member of the IEEE and has served on many advisory panels on sensors, e.g. for EPSRC, DTI and IEE Professional Network on Microsystems and Nanotechnology. His research interests include the modelling of silicon microsensors, chemical sensor array devices, biomimetic MEMS devices and electronic noses. He has worked with over 20 companies in the past 15 years developing commercial e-nose instruments and as a consultant for various companies. He is also Head of the Sensors Research Laboratory and Director of the Centre for Cognitive & Neural Systems. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering in 2006 and awarded the JJ Thomson Medal for Outstanding Achievement in Electronics by the Institute of Engineering & Technology in 2007.
- Y. Jian, Z. Rácz, J.W. Gardner, M. Cole and H. Chen, "Ratiometric info-chemical communication system based on polymer-coated surface acoustic wave microsensors," Sensors and Actuators: B. Chemical (2012). [DOI: 10.1016/j.snb.2012.07.043]
- J.L. Vivancos, Z. Rácz, M. Cole, J.W. Gardner and J. Soto, "Surface acoustic wave based analytical system for the detection of liquid detergents," Sensors and Actuators: B. Chemical, 171-172, pp. 469-477 (2012).
- Z. Rácz, M. Cole, J.W. Gardner, M.F. Chowdhury, W.P. Bula, J.G.E. Gardeniers, S. Karout, A. Capurro and T.C. Pearce, "Design and Implementation of a Modular Biomimetic Infochemical Communication System," International Journal of Circuit Theory and Applications – Nanocircuits special issue (2012). [DOI: 10.1002/cta.1829]
- F.K.C. Harun, J.A. Covington, J.W. Gardner, "Mimicking the biological olfactory system: a portable electronic mucosa," IET Nanobiotechnology, 6 (2), pp. 45-51 (2012).
- Z. Rácz, Y. Jian, J.W. Gardner and M. Cole, "Volatile-based Ratiometric Infochemical Communication System Using Polymer-coated Piezoelectric Sensor Arrays," 2011 IEEE Sensors pp. 747-749 (2011).
- M.F. Chowdhury, Z. Rácz, Y. Jian, M. Cole, S. Thomas and J.W. Gardner, "ASIC for Hybrid Biosynthetic Infochemical Chemoreceiver," 2011 IEEE Sensors pp. 990-993 (2011).
- J.L. Vivancos, Z. Rácz, M. Cole, J. Soto, J.W. Gardner, "Detergents sensing system based on SH-SAW devices," Procedia Engineering (Eurosensors XXV), Volume 25, pp. 1125-1128 (2011).
- J.W. Gardner, T. Ahmed, P.T. Moseley, S.Z. Ali, M.F. Chowdhury, F. Udrea, "High Temperature Robust SOI Ethanol Sensor," Procedia Engineering (Eurosensors XXV), Volume 25 (2011).
- P.K. Guha, S. Santra, J.A. Covington, F. Udrea, J.W. Gardner, "Zinc oxide nanowire based hydrogen sensor on SOI CMOS platform," Procedia Engineering (Eurosensors XXV), Volume 25 (2011).
- M. Cole, J.A. Covington, J.W. Gardner, "Combined electronic nose and tongue for a flavour sensing system," Sensors and Actuators: B. Chemical, 156, pp. 832-839 (2011).
- Z. Rácz, S.B. Olsson, J.W. Gardner, T.C. Pearce, B.S. Hansson, M. Cole, "Challenges of Biomimetic Infochemical Communication," Procedia Computer Science, 7, pp. 106-109 (2011).
- S. Pathak, M.D. Jordan, Z. Rácz, R.A.J. Challiss, J.W. Gardner and M. Cole, "Detection of ligand-elicited secondary cellular responses using Surface Acoustic Wave biosensors," Procedia Computer Science, 7, pp. 346-347 (2011).
- S. Z. Ali, W.O. Ho, M.F. Chowdhury, J.A. Covington, P. Moseley, J. Saffell, J.W. Gardner, F. Udrea, "A High Temperature SOI CMOS NO2 Sensor," AIP Conference Proceedings (ISOEN), 1362, pp. 53-54 (2011).
- S. Karout, Z. Rácz, A. Capurro, M. Cole, J.W. Gardner, T.C. Pearce, "Ratiometric Chemical Blend Processing with a Neuromorphic Model of the Insect Macroglomerular Complex," AIP Conference Proceedings (ISOEN), 1362, pp. 77-78 (2011).
- M.F. Ab Aziz, F.K.C. Harun, J.A. Covington, J.W. Gardner,"Towards an Analogue Neuromorphic VLSI Instrument for the Sensing of Complex Odours," AIP Conference Proceedings (ISOEN), 1362, pp. 223-224 (2011).