Below is a list of useful links and resources for PPI advisors and anyone interested in public involvement in research.
Resources for Public Contributors
- A research handbook for patient and public involvement researchers – A really useful handbook This handbook is written for patients and members of the public who want to understand more about the approaches, methods and language used by health-services researchers. This book was developed during a five-year research programme funded by the UK’s National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) called Enhancing the Quality of User Involved Care Planning in Mental Health Services (EQUIP).
ARC WM PCIEP Strategy
- The CLAHRC West Midlands PPIE strategy - a one page document to communicate the overarching aims and ambitions of Patient and Public Involvement and Engagement (PPIE) in the CLAHRC West Midlands initiative.
NIHR INVOLVE Resources
- Involve - the national advisory group in the field of public involvement in research.
- NIHR INVOLVE Values and Principles Framework
- NIHR INVOLVE Standards for Involvement
- NIHR INVOLVE Guidance on Co-Producing a Research Project
- NIHR Going the Extra Mile - final report and recommendations of the strategic review of public involvement in the NIHR
- I Am Research campaign - giving patients, the public and health and social care research professionals a chance to shout about how fantastic research is. Aiming to raise awareness of the benefits of research and the positive impact it has on people's lives.
- NIHR ‘Ok to ask’ campaign - a campaign encourage more patients or carers to ask about research opportunities that could be available to them or their loved ones, if they have a medical condition they are receiving treatment for. That essentially it is “OK to ask” about research opportunities.
- NIHR ‘make it clear’ campaign - From 14 May 2014, a good quality plain English summary, submitted as part of the standard application form, will be a requirement of NIHR funding. Guidance has been developed for researchers and for board and panel members.
ARC WM PCIEP Research
- GRIPP2 reporting checklists: tools to improve reporting of patient and public involvement in research
BAME Toolkit - This toolkit, developed by our colleagues in ARC East Midlands, captures best practice and provides researchers with a framework on how to improve the participation of Black and Minority Ethnic (BAME) groups in research.
- Jargon Buster - a glossary of words containing the definitions of some of the terms commonly used in public involvement in research.