As a trained syntactician, I have worked on the syntax-semantics interface focusing on subjects and designated subject positions across languages (e.g., subjects in arbitrary and impersonal constructions, etc). I am also interested in documenting language change phenomena in both Greek and English and, wherever possible, am attempting to trace such changes historically. Aside from micro-based research, I have also taken up projects in applied linguistics; investigating the language of money and debt under a Cognitive Metaphor Theory lens, or, more recently, exploring ED & I- related projects (i.e., employability skills in diverse student groups).
After completing my ESRC - funded PhD in 2004 (University of York), I taught Linguistics at the University of Roehampton (originally part of the University of Surrey) for nearly 19 years. My diverse teaching portfolio ranges from theoretical modules such as: Syntax, Morphology, Meaning in Language, Language Variation and Change to Sociolinguistic ones such as Language, Society and Power. In 2022, I joined Warwick where I am contributing my teaching and research expertise in modules such as: Linguistics: Understanding Language, Morphology and Syntax, and Qualitative Research Methods.
- 'Sifaki, Evi, 2021. 'Null arbitrary subjects in Greek. Lingua, 252
- 'Sifaki, Evi, 2020. 'Preposition-drop in Greek : EPP-driven pseudo-incorporation. Linguistics, 58 (4), pp. 1023-1058
- 'Sifaki, Evi, 'Mooney, Annabelle, 2015. 'Two sides of the same coin : matter and embodiment in metaphors of money. On the Horizon, 23 (3), pp. 202-215
- 'Broadbent, Judith M., 'Sifaki, Evi, 2013. 'To-contract or not to-contract? That is the question. English Language and Linguistics, 17 (3), pp. 513-535
- 'Sifaki, Evi, 2013. 'VOS in Greek. Journal of Greek Linguistics, 13 (2), pp. 239-278
- 'Mooney, Annabelle, 'Sifaki, Evi, 2017. 'Snudging cheapskates and magnificent profusion : the conceptual baggage of ?mean? and ?generous?. In The Language of Money and Debt : A Multidisciplinary Approach, Palgrave Macmillan Cham, pp. 105-135
- 'Mooney, Annabelle, 'Sifaki, Evi, 2017. 'The view from the ground. In The Language of Money and Debt : A Multidisciplinary Approach, Palgrave Macmillan Cham, pp. 1-30
- 'Sifaki, Evi, 'Tsoulas, George, 2017. 'XP-V orders in Greek. 12th International Conference on Greek Linguistics (ICGL12), Berlin, Germany, 16-19 Sep 2015, Published in Proceedings of the ICGL12, pp. 911-922
- 'Sifaki, Evi, 'Sitaridou, Ioanna, 2007. 'EPP revisited : evidence from null subject languages. 17th International Symposium on Theoretical and Applied Linguistics, Thessaloniki, Greece, 14-17 Apr 2005, Published in Selected papers on theoretical and applied linguistics, pp. 188-198
- 'Sifaki, Evi, 2012. '[Review of] Theresa Biberauer, Anders Holmberg, Ian Roberts & Michelle Sheehan, Parametric Variation : Null Subjects in Minimalist Theory. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2010. Pp. vi+368.. Journal of Linguistics, Cambridge University Press, pp. 217-222