We welcome world class applicants who have a commitment to educational research and challenge, improve and question education in its many forms. We pride ourselves on the experienced supervisors we have in place to support your research, and provide a thriving graduate association programme of workshops, social events, seminars and an annual research conference. Our research students develop a range of skills during their studies with us which enables them to develop their existing careers and to develop the skills and experiences needed to take up new career directions.
Education Studies is working closely with other disciplines from across Warwick on joint research and teaching initiatives such as Theatre StudiesLink opens in a new window, EconomicsLink opens in a new window , Politics and International StudiesLink opens in a new window and Applied LinguisticsLink opens in a new window. We welcome Research Students who wish to pursue multidisciplinary research by supporting joint supervision with another Warwick department.
Important dates for applicants:
- Admissions round 1: deadline for applications 8 January 2024, with interviews to take place in late January and early February.
- Applicants for CIS (Chancellors International Scholarship) should apply to the Department of Education Studies PhD programme as soon as possible, and by the latest by 24 November 2023 (this deadline is fixed by the University). The scholarship application is due on 14 December.
- Applicants for ESRC DTP studentships, AHRC M4C studentships, CSC, Sanctuary and any other Warwick-administered scholarship schemes with a January deadline should apply to the Department of Education Studies PhD programme by the internal deadline of 24 November 2023 in order to receive feedback on these applications.
- Admissions round 2: open from 4 March 2024 with a deadline for applications of 6 May 2024, and interviews to take place in June.
Note: Applicants who are applying for Sanctuary or CARA Scholarships or equivalent may apply at any time of year but will need to contact educationDPGR@warwick.ac.uk to discuss the application before submitting, if this is outside of the above date windows.
Our research courses suit students who thrive on independent study. You will explore a topic in depth as part of an active research community, supervised by experts.
We have over 20 academic staff members with many research strengths who could be your supervisors.
Research-informed guidance resources
- Burford, J., Henderson, E. F., Kier-Byfield, S., Akkad, A., Dangeni, Mansuy, J. (2023). Potential Doctoral Applicants and those Working with them in Pre-application Doctoral Communications: Project Briefing. Coventry: Department of Education Studies, University of Warwick.
https://wrap.warwick.ac.uk/179604/Link opens in a new window
- Burford, J., Henderson, E. F., Kier-Byfield, S. (2023). Searching for and approaching a doctoral supervisor [video resourceLink opens in a new window].