Higher Education, research cultures, academic profession, academic identities, academic mobility, knowledge production, globalisation; conferences; gender, feminist and queer theory; feminist and gender pedagogy; international development; ethnography, autoethnography, diary method, qualitative research; deconstruction, poststructuralist theory; India, South Africa, UK, US, France.
Emily F. Henderson joined the Centre for Education Studies in 2015. Her research and approach to teaching are inherently international and interdisciplinary, and are influenced by her earlier studies in literature and modern languages and time spent working or studying abroad in Togo, France, Senegal and India. She has further connections with the US, having conducted PhD research there, and South Africa, based on an ESRC PhD Partnership with the University of the Free State. At Warwick, she is course leader for the MA programme, 'Global Education and International Development', which was launched in 2017.
Emily is co-investigator on a 5-year research study on gender and higher education in Haryana, India (funded by the Fair Chance Foundation), and is also Principal Investigator on 'In Two Places at Once', a project on the impact of caring responsibilities on academics' conference participation (funded by Warwick Research Development Fund and IAS). She is co-convenor of AMIN - Academic Mobilities and Immobilities Network, and co-convenor of the 'International Research and Researchers Network' for the Society for Research into Higher Education (SRHE), and member of the Governing Council and Research & Development Committee for SRHE. At Warwick, Emily is the Education Studies representative for the Warwick Interdisciplinary Research Centre for International Development (WICID), an affiliate of the Centre for the Study of Women and Gender.
Emily is author of Gender Pedagogy: Teaching, Learning and Tracing Gender in Higher Education (Palgrave, 2015) and Gender, Definitional Politics and 'Live' Knowledge Production: Contesting Concepts at Conferences (Routledge, 2020) and co-editor with Z Nicolazzo of Starting with Gender in International Higher Education Research (Routledge, 2019). She is also co-editing with James Burford a special issue of Gender and Education, 'Thoughtful gatherings: gendering conferences as spaces of learning, knowledge production and community', and a special issue of Higher Education with Charikleia Tzanakou, 'Stuck and sticky in mobile academia: reconfiguring the im/mobility binary'. Emily is co-editor of the academic blog 'Conference Inference: Blogging the World of Conferences', which was launched in 2017 and is read in over 100 countries. For full details of Emily's publications, see the link below.
Emily holds a BA in English Literature and Modern Languages (French) from the University of Oxford, and an MA in Education, Gender and International Development, an MRes in Educational and Social Research and a PhD in Education from the UCL Institute of Education (MRes and PhD ESRC-funded).
Emily is currently supervising the following PhD students:
Xuemeng Cao, international students & employability, 2016-, full-time, funded by Chinese Scholarship Council, co-supervised with Ian Abbott.
Roisin Ellison, counter-terrorism policy in schools & poststructuralism, 2016-, part-time, ESRC-funded, co-supervised with Judith Everington.
Anjali Thomas, gender and higher education in Haryana India, 2017-, full-time, funded by WCPRS & Fair Chance Foundation, co-supervised with Ann Stewart.
Johan de Kam, international expatriate experiences, 2017-, part-time, co-supervised with Stephanie Scnurr.
Bing Lu, impact of international doctoral education on returned Chinese academics' supervision practice, 2018-, full-time, co-supervised with Justine Mercer.
Ahmad Akkad, role of displaced Syrian academics in higher education reconstruction in Syria, 2019-, full-time.
English (native); French (fluent); Hindi (advanced); Urdu (intermediate); Ewe (basic).
- Henderson, Emily F., 2019. A PhD in motion : advancing a critical academic mobilities approach (CAMA) to researching short-term mobility schemes for doctoral students. Teaching in Higher Education, 24 (5), pp. 678-693
- Henderson, Emily F., 2019. On being the ?gender person' in an academic department : constructions, configurations and implications. Journal of Gender Studies, 28 (6), pp. 730-742
- Henderson, Emily F., Moreau, M -P., 2019. Carefree conferences? Academics with caring responsibilities performing mobile academic subjectivities. Gender and Education
- Sabharwal, N. S., Henderson, Emily F., Joseph, R. S., 2019. Hidden social exclusion in Indian academia : gender, caste and conference participation. Gender and Education
- Henderson, Emily F., Burford, J., 2019. Queering ?the idea of the university?: two queer conceptualizations of discursive deployment in higher education literature. Journal of Critical Thought and Praxis
- Henderson, Emily F., Henderson, H., 2019. The graveyard slot is political. Australian Feminist Studies
- Henderson, Emily F., Burford, J., 2019. Thoughtful gatherings : gendering conferences as spaces of learning, knowledge production and community. Gender and Education
- Henderson, Emily F., 2018. The (un)invited guest? Feminist pedagogy and guest lecturing. Teaching in Higher Education
- Burford, James, Henderson, Emily F., Pausé, Cat, 2018. Enlarging conference learning : at the crossroads of fat studies and conference pedagogies. Fat Studies, 7 (1), pp. 69-80
- Henderson, Emily F., 2018. Anticipating doctoral supervision : (not) bridging the transition from supervisee to supervisor. Teaching in Higher Education, 23 (4), pp. 403-418
- Henderson, Emily F., 2018. Gender defender : response to Kelly Coate's review of Gender Pedagogy (Palgrave). Pedagogy, Culture & Society, 26 (3), pp. 489-490
- Henderson, Emily F., 2017. Caring while conferencing : the 'in two places at once' research project. Feminist and Women's Studies Association (UK and Ireland) Newsletter, 68
- Henderson, Emily F., 2015. Academic conferences : representative and resistant sites for higher education research. Higher Education Research & Development, 34 (5), pp. 914-925
- Henderson, Emily F., 2014. Bringing up gender : academic abjection?. Pedagogy, Culture & Society, 22 (1), pp. 21-38
- Henderson, Emily F., 2014. Poststructuralist metaphor analysis through the "gender" lens : challenges and conceptualizations. Qualitative Inquiry, 20 (3), pp. 332-340
- Henderson, Emily F., 2012. 'A key area of knowledge delivered by someone knowledgeable' : feminist expectations and explorations of a one-off economics lecture on gender. Journal of International Women's Studies, 13 (6), pp. 44-56
- Henderson, Emily F., 2019. Gender, definitional politics and 'live' knowledge production: contesting concepts at conferences.
- Henderson, Emily F., 2018. Feminist conference time : aiming (not) to have been there. In Taylor, Y.; Lahad, K. (eds.), The Feeling Academic in the Neoliberal University : Feminist Flights, Fights and Failures Cham, Cham, Switzerland, Palgrave Macmillan US, pp. 33-60
- Henderson, Emily F., 2018. Academics in two places at once : (not) managing caring responsibilities at conferences. In Finkel, Rebecca; Sharp, Briony; Sweeney, Majella (eds.), Accessibility, Inclusion, and Diversity in Critical Event Studies, London ; New York, CRC Press, pp. 218-229
- Nicolazzo, Z., Henderson, Emily F., 2018. Introduction : starting with concepts : a (re)introduction. Starting with Gender in International Higher Education Research: Conceptual Debates and Methodological Considerations, Routledge
- Henderson, Emily F., 2018. Starting with gender : definitional politics in international higher education research. Henderson, Emily F.; Nicolazzo, Z. (eds.), Starting with Gender in International Higher Education Research: Conceptual Debates and Methodological Considerations, Routledge
- Henderson, Emily F., 2015. Gender pedagogy : teaching, learning and tracing gender in higher education. Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire, UK, Palgrave Macmillan
- Henderson, Emily F., Cao, Xuemeng, Mansuy, Julie, 2018. In two places at once : the impact of caring responsibilities on academic's conference participation : final project report. Centre for Education Studies, University of Warwick
- Henderson, Emily F., 2018. In two places at once : juggling conferences and caring responsibilities. Mindsweep Media
- Henderson, Emily F., 2017. Teaching international development ? the Warwick Way. GRP international development [Global Research Priorities International Development]
- Henderson, Emily F., 2016. Review of Girls, style, and school identities : dressing the part by Pomerantz, S.. Gender and Education, Routledge, pp. 1-3
- Henderson, Emily F., 2015. ?Meaningful higher education'? : two lenses for re-thinking contemporary global university education. Compare, Routledge, pp. 819-824
- Burford, James, Henderson, Emily F., 2015. Queer inroads : two queer higher education symposia reviews written otherwise. Higher Education Research & Development, Routledge, pp. 801-807
|Title||Funder||Award start||Award end|
|Gender and educational provision in Haryana North India||Fair Chance Foundation||01 Mar 2017||28 Feb 2022|
|Gender and educational provision in Haryana North India (Project Development) (linked to 53904)||Anonymous||01 Sep 2017||28 Feb 2021|