Higher Education, research cultures, academic profession, academic identities, academic mobility, knowledge production, globalisation; conferences; gender, feminist and queer theory; feminist and gender pedagogy; international development; ethnography, autoethnography, diary method, qualitative research; deconstruction, poststructuralist theory; India, South Africa, UK, US, France.
Emily F. Henderson joined the Department of Education Studies (previously Centre for Education Studies) as an Assistant Professor in 2015. She is currently a Reader in Gender and International Higher Education. Her research and approach to teaching are inherently international and interdisciplinary, and are influenced by her earlier studies in literature and modern languages and time spent working or studying abroad in Togo, France, Senegal and India. She has further connections with the US, having conducted PhD research there, and South Africa, based on an ESRC PhD Partnership with the University of the Free State. At Warwick, she founded the MA programme, 'Global Education and International Development', which was launched in 2017, and was course leader until 2020; until 2022 she was the module leader for 'EQ923 Understanding Global Education and International Development'. From 2019 she has been Co-Director of the Post-Graduate Research programme for the department and also teaches on the Advanced Research Methods course.
Projects relating to higher education in India:
(i) 2022-2026: Co-Principal Investigator (overall project lead) with Dr Nidhi S. Sabharwal, CPRHE, NIEPA, India (Co-Principal Investigator - India lead) and Prof Ann Stewart, Law School Warwick (Co-Investigator) on a 4-year research project (funded by the Fair Chance Foundation). The project is entitled 'Widening Access to Higher Education in India: Institutional Approaches'.
(ii) 2020-2022: Co-Investigator (with Prof Ann Stewart as PI) for 'Enhancing Informed Choices for Higher Education: Building Outreach Culture in Haryana, India' (Funded by University of Warwick ESRC Impact Acceleration Account and Fair Chance Foundation).
(iii) 2017-2022: Co-investigator (with Prof Ann Stewart as PI) on a 5-year research study on gender and higher education in Haryana, India (funded by the Fair Chance Foundation).
Projects relating to the academic profession and doctoral education:
(i) 2022: Co-investigator (with Dr James Burford as PI) on 'Opening the Black Box of Pre-Application Doctoral Communications' (funded by Research England Research Culture Fund).
(ii) 2017-18: Principal Investigator on 'In Two Places at Once: The Impact of Caring Responsibilities on Academics' Conference Participation' (funded by University of Warwick Research Development Fund and Institute of Advanced Studies Delivering Results).
(iii) 2017-2018: Co-Investigator (with Prof Pauline Reynolds, University of Redlands, US as PI) on 'The Symbolic Power of Academic Conferences in Fictional Texts' (Funded by University of Redlands).
(iv) 2016-2018: Founder and Co-Convenor of AMIN - Academic Mobilities and Immobilities Network
(i) 2021-present: Founder and manager of the web platform Diary Method Community, a web platform hosting resources and advice about using diary method in social sciences and including a monthly online international reading group.
(ii) 2017-present: Co-editor of the academic blog Conference Inference: Blogging the World of Conferences with Dr James Burford.
Emily is author of Gender Pedagogy: Teaching, Learning and Tracing Gender in Higher Education (Palgrave, 2015) and Gender, Definitional Politics and 'Live' Knowledge Production: Contesting Concepts at Conferences (Routledge, 2020) and co-author with James Burford of Making Sense of Academic Conferences: Presenting, Participating and Organising(Routledge, 2022). She is co-editor with Z Nicolazzo of Starting with Gender in International Higher Education Research (Routledge, 2019) and co-editor with Xuemeng Cao of Exploring Diary Methods in Higher Education Research: Opportunities, Choices and Challenges (Routledge, 2021). She has also co-edited with James Burford a special issue of Gender and Education, 'Thoughtful gatherings: gendering conferences as spaces of learning, knowledge production and community', and a special issue of Higher Education with Charikleia Tzanakou, 'Stuck and sticky in mobile academia: reconfiguring the im/mobility binary'. For full details of Emily's publications, see the link below.
From 2022 Emily has served as a mentor on the CARA (Council for At Risk Academics) Fellows Mentoring Scheme. She has served as a Research Advisory Group member for a British Council-funded project on gender and higher education in India, and for an SRHE-funded project on women academics in relation to the pandemic lockdowns. From 2021 Emily has been serving as an Invited Member of the British Academy's Higher Education Policy Development Group. From 2020-2023 she is serving as External Examiner for MA Education (International), University of Manchester. From 2018 to present, Emily has served as an elected member (trustee) of the Governing Council of Society for Research into Higher Education and as a member of the SRHE Research and Development Committee. From 2016-2021 Emily was Co-convenor of the SRHE International Research and Researchers Network. At Warwick, Emily is the Education Studies representative for the Warwick Interdisciplinary Research Centre for International Development (WICID), and an affiliate of the Centre for the Study of Women and Gender. She is also a committee member of the Board of Graduate Studies (2022-).
Emily holds a BA in English Literature and Modern Languages (French) from the University of Oxford, and an MA in Education, Gender and International Development, an MRes in Educational and Social Research and a PhD in Education from the UCL Institute of Education (MRes and PhD ESRC-funded).
Doctoral Supervision and Examination and Post-doctoral Mentoring
Emily currently has limited space for new students, but potential applicants with a specific interest in the topics listed in the 'Research Interests' section above are welcome to get in touch by email with a proposed topic, CV and draft proposal, bearing in mind that at busy times of year it may take a couple of weeks to reply.
Emily is currently supervising the following PhD students:
Roisin Ellison, counter-terrorism policy in schools & poststructuralism, 2016-, PhD part-time, ESRC-funded, first supervisor Judith Everington.
Johan de Kam, international expatriate experiences, 2017-, PhD part-time, second supervisor Stephanie Schnurr.
Bing Lu, impact of international doctoral education on returned Chinese academics' supervision practice, 2018-, PhD full-time, second supervisor Emma Williams.
Ahmad Akkad, role of displaced Syrian academics in higher education reconstruction in Syria, 2019-, PhD full-time, funded by Sanctuary Scholarship, second supervisor Dallal Stevens.
Serena Alexis, the intersectionality of race and gender in educational leadership, 2020-, EdD part-time, first supervisor Pontso Moorosi
Yibin Lin, international doctoral students and the transferable skills agenda, 2021-, PhD full-time, CSC-funded, second supervisor James Burford.
Robyn Shreeve, international higher education academic partnerships, 2021-, PhD full-time, ESRC 1+3 funded, second supervisor Jo Angouri
Fatima Alhaj Hasan, conflict in Syrian higher education, 2022-, PhD full-time, externally funded, first supervisor James Burford
S. Arokia Mary, gender and doctoral socialisation in Kashmir, India, 2022-, PhD full-time, ESRC 1+3 funded, second supervisor Khursheed Wadia
Emily has supervised the following PhD students to completion:
Anjali Thomas, gender and higher education in Haryana India, 2017-2021, PhD full-time, funded by WCPRS & Fair Chance Foundation, co-supervised with Ann Stewart.
Xuemeng Cao, international students & employability, 2016-2020, PhD full-time, funded by Chinese Scholarship Council, co-supervised with Ian Abbott.
*Doctoral examination.*Emily has examined doctorates for the following UK universities: University of Warwick; Loughborough University; and for the following international universities: University of Technology Sydney, Australia; University of Auckland, New Zealand
*Post-doctoral fellow mentoring.*Emily has mentored the following post-doctoral fellows: Xuemeng Cao (IAS ECF), Anjali Thomas (IAS ECF and Fair Chance Foundation), Bing Lu (IAS ECF).
English (native); French (fluent); Hindi (advanced); Urdu (intermediate)
- Henderson, Emily F., Reynolds, P. J., 2023. Mobile, hierarchical, normative, decadent and conflict prone : understanding academia through fictional conferences. Higher Education, 85, pp. 1201-1218
- 'Reynolds, P. J., 'Henderson, Emily F., 2022. 'Gender and the symbolic power of academic conferences in fictional texts. Higher Education Research and Development
- 'Akkad, Ahmad, 'Henderson, Emily F., 2021. 'Exploring the role of HE teachers as change agents in the reconstruction of post-conflict Syria. Teaching in Higher Education
- Tzanakou, Charikleia, Henderson, Emily F., 2021. Stuck and sticky in mobile academia : reconfiguring the im/mobility binary. Higher Education, 82, pp. 685-693
- Henderson, Emily F., 2021. Sticky care and conference travel : unpacking care as an explanatory factor for gendered academic immobility. Higher Education, 82, pp. 715-730
- Khoo, Tseen, Burford, James, Henderson, Emily F., Liu, Helena, Nicolazzo, Z., 2021. Not getting over it : the impact of Sara Ahmed's work within critical university studies. Journal of Intercultural Studies, 42 (1), pp. 84-98
- Cao, Xuemeng, Henderson, Emily F., 2021. The interweaving of diaries and lives : diary-keeping behaviour in a diary-interview study of international students? employability management. Qualitative Research, 21 (6), pp. 829-845
- Henderson, Emily F., Moreau, Marie-Pierre, 2020. Carefree conferences? Academics with caring responsibilities performing mobile academic subjectivities. Gender and Education, 32 (1), pp. 70-85
- Sabharwal, N. S., Henderson, Emily F., Joseph, R. S., 2020. Hidden social exclusion in Indian academia : gender, caste and conference participation. Gender and Education, 32 (1), pp. 27-42
- Henderson, Emily F., 2019. A PhD in motion : advancing a critical academic mobilities approach (CAMA) to researching short-term mobility schemes for doctoral students. Teaching in Higher Education, 24 (5), pp. 678-693
- Henderson, Emily F., Henderson, Holly, 2019. The graveyard slot is political. Australian Feminist Studies, 34 (101), pp. 376-384
- Henderson, Emily F., 2019. The (un)invited guest? Feminist pedagogy and guest lecturing. Teaching in Higher Education, 24 (1), pp. 115-120
- Henderson, Emily F., 2019. On being the ?gender person' in an academic department : constructions, configurations and implications. Journal of Gender Studies, 28 (6), pp. 730-742
- 'Henderson, Emily F., 'Burford, James, 2019. 'Queering "the idea of the university" : two queer conceptualizations of discursive deployment in higher education literature. Journal of Critical Thought and Praxis, 8 (2)
- Henderson, Emily F., 2018. Anticipating doctoral supervision : (not) bridging the transition from supervisee to supervisor. Teaching in Higher Education, 23 (4), pp. 403-418
- Henderson, Emily F., 2018. Gender defender : response to Kelly Coate's review of Gender Pedagogy (Palgrave). Pedagogy, Culture & Society, 26 (3), pp. 489-490
- Burford, James, Henderson, Emily F., Pausé, Cat, 2018. Enlarging conference learning : at the crossroads of fat studies and conference pedagogies. Fat Studies, 7 (1), pp. 69-80
- Henderson, Emily F., 2017. Caring while conferencing : the 'in two places at once' research project. Feminist and Women's Studies Association (UK and Ireland) Newsletter, 68
- Henderson, Emily F., 2015. Academic conferences : representative and resistant sites for higher education research. Higher Education Research & Development, 34 (5), pp. 914-925
- Henderson, Emily F., 2014. Poststructuralist metaphor analysis through the "gender" lens : challenges and conceptualizations. Qualitative Inquiry, 20 (3), pp. 332-340
- Henderson, Emily F., 2014. Bringing up gender : academic abjection?. Pedagogy, Culture & Society, 22 (1), pp. 21-38
- Henderson, Emily F., 2012. 'A key area of knowledge delivered by someone knowledgeable' : feminist expectations and explorations of a one-off economics lecture on gender. Journal of International Women's Studies, 13 (6), pp. 44-56
- 'Henderson, Emily F., 2022. ''It?s not only me doing things for me? : conference participation for doctoral students with caring responsibilities. In Hook, Genine; Moreau, Marie-Pierre; Brooks, Rachel (eds.), Student Carers in Higher Education : Navigating, Resisting, and Re-inventing Academic Cultures, Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY, Routledge, pp. 153-169
- Burford, James, Henderson, Emily F., 2022. Making sense of academic conferences : presenting, participating and organising. Abingdon, Oxon, Routledge
- Cao, X., Henderson, Emily F., 2021. Introduction : The (re)naissance of diary method in and beyond higher education studies. Cao, Xuemeng; Henderson, Emily F. (eds.), Exploring Diary Methods in Higher Education Research : Opportunities, Choices and Challenges, Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY, Routledge
- Henderson, Emily F., 2021. How short is too short? Exploring diary study duration from the perspective of researching conferences and other short-term phenomena in higher education and beyond. Cao, Xuemeng; Henderson, Emily F. (eds.), Exploring Diary Methods in Higher Education Research : Opportunities, Choices and Challenges, Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY, Routledge
- Henderson, Emily F., Burford, James, 2020. Conferences. In David, Miriam E.; Amey, Marilyn J. (eds.), SAGE Encyclopedia of Higher Education, London, Sage Publications Ltd, pp. 290-293
- Henderson, Emily F., Sabharwal, N. S., 2020. Feminist analysis. In David, Miriam E.; Amey, Marilyn J. (eds.), SAGE Encyclopedia of Higher Education, London, Sage Publications Ltd, pp. 531-532
- Henderson, Emily F., 2019. Gender, definitional politics and 'live' knowledge production: contesting concepts at conferences.
- Nicolazzo, Z., Henderson, Emily F., 2018. Introduction : starting with concepts : a (re)introduction. Starting with Gender in International Higher Education Research: Conceptual Debates and Methodological Considerations, Routledge
- Henderson, Emily F., 2018. Academics in two places at once : (not) managing caring responsibilities at conferences. In Finkel, Rebecca; Sharp, Briony; Sweeney, Majella (eds.), Accessibility, Inclusion, and Diversity in Critical Event Studies, London ; New York, CRC Press, pp. 218-229
- Henderson, Emily F., 2018. Starting with gender : definitional politics in international higher education research. Henderson, Emily F.; Nicolazzo, Z. (eds.), Starting with Gender in International Higher Education Research: Conceptual Debates and Methodological Considerations, Routledge
- 'Henderson, Emily F., 2018. 'Feminist conference time : aiming (not) to have been there. In Taylor, Y.; Lahad, K. (eds.), The Feeling Academic in the Neoliberal University : Feminist Flights, Fights and Failures Cham, Cham, Switzerland, Palgrave Macmillan US, pp. 33-60
- Henderson, Emily F., 2016. Bringing up gender : academic abjection?. Lapping, Claudia; Bibby, Tamara (eds.), Knowing and Not Knowing : Thinking psychosocially about learning and resistance to learning, London ; New York, Routledge
- Henderson, Emily F., 2015. Gender pedagogy : teaching, learning and tracing gender in higher education. Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire, UK, Palgrave Macmillan
- Stewart, A., Henderson, E. F., Mansuy, J., Thomas, A., Samanta, N., Sabharwal, N. S., Rathee, S., Yadav, R., 2023. A fair chance for education : gendered pathways to educational success in Haryana. Final project report. University of Warwick
- Burford, James, Henderson, E. F., Kier-Byfield, S., 2023. Searching for and approaching a doctoral supervisor. University of Warwick, Department of Education Studies
- Burford, James, Henderson, Emily F., Kier-Byfield, Sophia, Dangeni,, Akkad, Ahmad, 2023. Pre-Application Doctoral Communications (PADC) Projects : Final Report. Department of Education Studies, University of Warwick
- Burford, James, Henderson, Emily F., Kier-Byfield, Sophia, Akkad, A., Dangeni,, Mansuy, J., 2023. The importance of pre-application doctoral communications for applicants : project briefing. Department of Education Studies, University of Warwick
- 'Stewart, A., 'Henderson, E. F., 'Sabharwal, N. S., 'Thomas, A., 'Samanta, N., 'Mansuy, J., 2022. 'Supporting gender-sensitive Higher Education access and choice in Haryana, India : policy brief. University of Warwick
- 'Henderson, E. F., 'Akkad, A., 'Plowman, P., 'Sabharwal, N. S., 2022. 'Using diary method in international development research on International Development and Diary Method Community. University of Warwick, Warwick Interdisciplinary Research Centre
- 'Samanta, N., 'Thomas, A., 'Mansuy, J., 'Stewart, A., 'Henderson, E. F, 'Sabharwal, N. S., 2022. 'Fair chance for education outreach activity resource for Higher Education Institutions : organising a college visit 'Taster Day' for potential Higher Education applicants. University of Warwick
- 'Burford, James, 'Henderson, Emily F., 'Akkad, A., 'Dangeni,, 'Kier-Byfield, S., 2022. 'The role of the institution in pre-application doctoral communications : project brief. Department of Education Studies, University of Warwick
- Henderson, Emily F., Sabharwal, Nidhi S., 2022. Review of Agency and social transformation in South African higher education by Idahosa, Grace Ese-osa. Compare: A Journal of Comparative and International Education, Routledge
- Burford, James, Henderson, Emily F., Akkad, A., Dangeni,, Kier-Byfield, S., 2022. The role of the supervisor in pre-application doctoral communications : project brief. Department of Education Studies, University of Warwick
- Henderson, Emily F., Thomas, Anjali, Mansuy, Julie, Sabharwal, Nidhi S., Stewart, Ann, Rathee, Sharmila, Yadav, Renu, Samanta, Nikita, 2021. A fair chance for education : gendered pathways to educational success in Haryana : Phase 1 Findings Report. University of Warwick
- Henderson, Emily F., 2020. Making space for the irrational dimensions of doctoral supervision pedagogy ? and the importance of doing this early.
- Sabharwal, Nidhi S., Henderson, Emily F., Joseph, Roma Smart, 2020. Hidden barriers to equal HE conference participation. University World News, Higher Education Web Publishing Ltd
- Henderson, Emily F., Burford, James, 2020. Thoughtful gatherings : gendering conferences as spaces of learning, knowledge production and community. Gender and Education, Routledge, pp. 1-10
- Henderson, Emily F., 2018. Creating inclusive conferences for academics with caring responsibilities : guidance for conference organisers. University of Warwick
- Henderson, Emily F., Cao, Xuemeng, Mansuy, Julie, 2018. In two places at once : the impact of caring responsibilities on academic's conference participation : final project report. Centre for Education Studies, University of Warwick
- Henderson, Emily F., 2018. In two places at once : juggling conferences and caring responsibilities. Mindsweep Media
- Henderson, Emily F., 2017. Teaching international development ? the Warwick Way. GRP international development [Global Research Priorities International Development]
- 'Henderson, Emily F., 2016. 'Review of Girls, style, and school identities : dressing the part by Pomerantz, S.. Gender and Education, Routledge, pp. 953-956
- Burford, James, Henderson, Emily F., 2015. Queer inroads : two queer higher education symposia reviews written otherwise. Higher Education Research & Development, Routledge, pp. 801-807
- Henderson, Emily F., 2015. Review of Education as a human right : principles for a universal entitlement to learning by McCowan, T.. Compare: A Journal of Comparative and International Education, Routledge, pp. 658-660
- Henderson, Emily F., 2015. ?Meaningful higher education'? : two lenses for re-thinking contemporary global university education. Compare, Routledge, pp. 819-824
|Title||Funder||Award start||Award end|
|Widening Access to Higher Education in India: A Fair Chance for Education - 2022 - 2026||Fair Chance Foundation||01 Jul 2022||30 Jun 2026|
|Gender and educational provision in Haryana North India||Fair Chance Foundation||01 Mar 2017||30 Jun 2023|
|Gender and educational provision in Haryana North India (Project Development) (linked to 53904)||Anonymous||01 Sep 2017||28 Feb 2021|