Higher Education, research cultures, academic profession, academic identities, academic mobility, knowledge production, globalisation; conferences; gender, feminist and queer theory; feminist and gender pedagogy; international development; ethnography, autoethnography, diary method, qualitative research; deconstruction, poststructuralist theory; India, South Africa, UK, US, France.
Emily F. Henderson joined the Department of Education Studies (previously Centre for Education Studies) in 2015. Her research and approach to teaching are inherently international and interdisciplinary, and are influenced by her earlier studies in literature and modern languages and time spent working or studying abroad in Togo, France, Senegal and India. She has further connections with the US, having conducted PhD research there, and South Africa, based on an ESRC PhD Partnership with the University of the Free State. At Warwick, she founded the MA programme, 'Global Education and International Development', which was launched in 2017, and was course leader until 2020; she teaches the module 'EQ923 Understanding Global Education and International Development'. From 2019 she has been Co-Director of the Post-Graduate Research programme for the department.
Emily is co-investigator on a 5-year research study on gender and higher education in Haryana, India (funded by the Fair Chance Foundation), and is also completing the outputs from a project where she was Principal Investigator on 'In Two Places at Once'; this was a project on the impact of caring responsibilities on academics' conference participation (funded by Warwick Research Development Fund and IAS). She is co-convenor of AMIN - Academic Mobilities and Immobilities Network, and co-convenor of the 'International Research and Researchers Network' for the Society for Research into Higher Education (SRHE), and member of the Governing Council and Research & Development Committee for SRHE. At Warwick, Emily is the Education Studies representative for the Warwick Interdisciplinary Research Centre for International Development (WICID), an affiliate of the Centre for the Study of Women and Gender.
Emily is author of Gender Pedagogy: Teaching, Learning and Tracing Gender in Higher Education (Palgrave, 2015) and Gender, Definitional Politics and 'Live' Knowledge Production: Contesting Concepts at Conferences (Routledge, 2020) and co-editor with Z Nicolazzo of Starting with Gender in International Higher Education Research (Routledge, 2019). She has also co-edited with James Burford a special issue of Gender and Education, 'Thoughtful gatherings: gendering conferences as spaces of learning, knowledge production and community', and is co-editing a special issue of Higher Education with Charikleia Tzanakou, 'Stuck and sticky in mobile academia: reconfiguring the im/mobility binary'. Emily is co-editor of the academic blog 'Conference Inference: Blogging the World of Conferences', which was launched in 2017 and is read in over 100 countries. For full details of Emily's publications, see the link below.
Emily holds a BA in English Literature and Modern Languages (French) from the University of Oxford, and an MA in Education, Gender and International Development, an MRes in Educational and Social Research and a PhD in Education from the UCL Institute of Education (MRes and PhD ESRC-funded).
Emily is currently supervising the following PhD students:
Xuemeng Cao, international students & employability, 2016-, PhD full-time, funded by Chinese Scholarship Council, co-supervised with Ian Abbott (completed 2020).
Roisin Ellison, counter-terrorism policy in schools & poststructuralism, 2016-, PhD part-time, ESRC-funded, co-supervised with Judith Everington.
Anjali Thomas, gender and higher education in Haryana India, 2017-, PhD full-time, funded by WCPRS & Fair Chance Foundation, co-supervised with Ann Stewart.
Johan de Kam, international expatriate experiences, 2017-, PhD part-time, co-supervised with Stephanie Scnurr.
Bing Lu, impact of international doctoral education on returned Chinese academics' supervision practice, 2018-, PhD full-time, co-supervised with Emma Williams.
Ahmad Akkad, role of displaced Syrian academics in higher education reconstruction in Syria, 2019-, PhD full-time, funded by Sanctuary Scholarship, co-supervised with Dallal Stevens.
Serena Alexis, the intersectionality of race and gender in educational leadership, 2020-, EdD part-time, co-supervised with Pontso Moorosi
English (native); French (fluent); Hindi (advanced); Urdu (intermediate); Ewe (basic).
- Khoo, Tseen, Burford, James, Henderson, Emily F., Liu, Helena, Nicolazzo, Z., 2021. Not getting over it : the impact of Sara Ahmed's work within critical university studies. Journal of Intercultural Studies, 42 (1), pp. 84-98
- Tzanakou, Charikleia, Henderson, Emily F., 2021. Stuck and sticky in mobile academia : reconfiguring the im/mobility binary. Higher Education
- Henderson, Emily F., Moreau, Marie-Pierre, 2020. Carefree conferences? Academics with caring responsibilities performing mobile academic subjectivities. Gender and Education, 32 (1), pp. 70-85
- Sabharwal, N. S., Henderson, Emily F., Joseph, R. S., 2020. Hidden social exclusion in Indian academia : gender, caste and conference participation. Gender and Education, 32 (1), pp. 27-42
- Cao, Xuemeng, Henderson, Emily F., 2020. The interweaving of diaries and lives : diary-keeping behaviour in a diary-interview study of international students' employability management. Qualitative Research
- Henderson, Emily F., 2020. Sticky care and conference travel : unpacking care as an explanatory factor for gendered academic immobility. Higher Education
- Henderson, Emily F., 2019. The (un)invited guest? Feminist pedagogy and guest lecturing. Teaching in Higher Education, 24 (1), pp. 115-120
- Henderson, Emily F., 2019. On being the ?gender person' in an academic department : constructions, configurations and implications. Journal of Gender Studies, 28 (6), pp. 730-742
- Henderson, Emily F., 2019. A PhD in motion : advancing a critical academic mobilities approach (CAMA) to researching short-term mobility schemes for doctoral students. Teaching in Higher Education, 24 (5), pp. 678-693
- Henderson, Emily F., Henderson, Holly, 2019. The graveyard slot is political. Australian Feminist Studies, 34 (101), pp. 376-384
- Henderson, Emily F., Burford, James, 2019. Queering ?the idea of the university?: two queer conceptualizations of discursive deployment in higher education literature. Journal of Critical Thought and Praxis, 8 (2)
- Henderson, Emily F., 2018. Anticipating doctoral supervision : (not) bridging the transition from supervisee to supervisor. Teaching in Higher Education, 23 (4), pp. 403-418
- Henderson, Emily F., 2018. Gender defender : response to Kelly Coate's review of Gender Pedagogy (Palgrave). Pedagogy, Culture & Society, 26 (3), pp. 489-490
- Burford, James, Henderson, Emily F., Pausé, Cat, 2018. Enlarging conference learning : at the crossroads of fat studies and conference pedagogies. Fat Studies, 7 (1), pp. 69-80
- Henderson, Emily F., 2017. Caring while conferencing : the 'in two places at once' research project. Feminist and Women's Studies Association (UK and Ireland) Newsletter, 68
- Henderson, Emily F., 2015. Academic conferences : representative and resistant sites for higher education research. Higher Education Research & Development, 34 (5), pp. 914-925
- Henderson, Emily F., 2014. Poststructuralist metaphor analysis through the "gender" lens : challenges and conceptualizations. Qualitative Inquiry, 20 (3), pp. 332-340
- Henderson, Emily F., 2014. Bringing up gender : academic abjection?. Pedagogy, Culture & Society, 22 (1), pp. 21-38
- Henderson, Emily F., 2012. 'A key area of knowledge delivered by someone knowledgeable' : feminist expectations and explorations of a one-off economics lecture on gender. Journal of International Women's Studies, 13 (6), pp. 44-56
- Henderson, Emily F., 2021. How short is too short? Exploring diary study duration from the perspective of researching conferences and other short-term phenomena in higher education and beyond. Cao, Xuemeng; Henderson, Emily F. (eds.), Exploring Diary Methods in Higher Education Research : Opportunities, Choices and Challenges, Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY, Routledge
- Cao, X., Henderson, Emily F., 2021. Introduction : The (re)naissance of diary method in and beyond higher education studies. Cao, Xuemeng; Henderson, Emily F. (eds.), Exploring Diary Methods in Higher Education Research : Opportunities, Choices and Challenges, Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY, Routledge
- Henderson, Emily F., Sabharwal, N. S., 2020. Feminist analysis. In David, Miriam E.; Amey, Marilyn J. (eds.), SAGE Encyclopedia of Higher Education, London, Sage Publications Ltd, pp. 531-532
- Henderson, Emily F., Burford, James, 2020. Conferences. In David, Miriam E.; Amey, Marilyn J. (eds.), SAGE Encyclopedia of Higher Education, London, Sage Publications Ltd, pp. 290-293
- Henderson, Emily F., 2019. Gender, definitional politics and 'live' knowledge production: contesting concepts at conferences.
- Nicolazzo, Z., Henderson, Emily F., 2018. Introduction : starting with concepts : a (re)introduction. Starting with Gender in International Higher Education Research: Conceptual Debates and Methodological Considerations, Routledge
- Henderson, Emily F., 2018. Starting with gender : definitional politics in international higher education research. Henderson, Emily F.; Nicolazzo, Z. (eds.), Starting with Gender in International Higher Education Research: Conceptual Debates and Methodological Considerations, Routledge
- Henderson, Emily F., 2018. Academics in two places at once : (not) managing caring responsibilities at conferences. In Finkel, Rebecca; Sharp, Briony; Sweeney, Majella (eds.), Accessibility, Inclusion, and Diversity in Critical Event Studies, London ; New York, CRC Press, pp. 218-229
- Henderson, Emily F., Henderson, Emily F., 2018. Feminist conference time : aiming (not) to have been there. In Taylor, Y.; Lahad, K.; Taylor, Y.; Lahad, K. (eds.), The Feeling Academic in the Neoliberal University : Feminist Flights, Fights and Failures Cham, Cham, Switzerland, Palgrave Macmillan US, pp. 33-60
- Henderson, Emily F., 2016. Bringing up gender : academic abjection?. Lapping, Claudia; Bibby, Tamara (eds.), Knowing and Not Knowing : Thinking psychosocially about learning and resistance to learning, London ; New York, Routledge
- Henderson, Emily F., 2015. Gender pedagogy : teaching, learning and tracing gender in higher education. Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire, UK, Palgrave Macmillan
- Henderson, Emily F., Thomas, Anjali, Mansuy, Julie, Sabharwal, Nidhi S., Stewart, Ann, Rathee, Sharmila, Yadav, Renu, Samanta, Nikita, 2021. A fair chance for education : gendered pathways to educational success in Haryana : Phase 1 Findings Report. University of Warwick
- Sabharwal, Nidhi S., Henderson, Emily F., Joseph, Roma Smart, 2020. Hidden barriers to equal HE conference participation. University World News, Higher Education Web Publishing Ltd
- Henderson, Emily F., 2020. Making space for the irrational dimensions of doctoral supervision pedagogy ? and the importance of doing this early.
- Henderson, Emily F., Burford, James, 2020. Thoughtful gatherings : gendering conferences as spaces of learning, knowledge production and community. Gender and Education, Routledge, pp. 1-10
- Henderson, Emily F., Cao, Xuemeng, Mansuy, Julie, 2018. In two places at once : the impact of caring responsibilities on academic's conference participation : final project report. Centre for Education Studies, University of Warwick
- Henderson, Emily F., 2018. In two places at once : juggling conferences and caring responsibilities. Mindsweep Media
- Henderson, Emily F., 2018. Creating inclusive conferences for academics with caring responsibilities : guidance for conference organisers. University of Warwick
- Henderson, Emily F., 2017. Teaching international development ? the Warwick Way. GRP international development [Global Research Priorities International Development]
- Henderson, Emily F., 2016. Review of Girls, style, and school identities : dressing the part by Pomerantz, S.. Gender and Education, Routledge, pp. 1-3
- Henderson, Emily F., 2015. ?Meaningful higher education'? : two lenses for re-thinking contemporary global university education. Compare, Routledge, pp. 819-824
- Burford, James, Henderson, Emily F., 2015. Queer inroads : two queer higher education symposia reviews written otherwise. Higher Education Research & Development, Routledge, pp. 801-807
- Henderson, Emily F., 2015. Review of Education as a human right : principles for a universal entitlement to learning by McCowan, T.. Compare: A Journal of Comparative and International Education, Routledge, pp. 658-660
|Title||Funder||Award start||Award end|
|Gender and educational provision in Haryana North India||Fair Chance Foundation||01 Mar 2017||30 Sep 2022|
|Gender and educational provision in Haryana North India (Project Development) (linked to 53904)||Anonymous||01 Sep 2017||28 Feb 2021|