Dr Moorosi's ongoing research straddles the field of gender in educational leadership and educational leadership broadly. She is particularly interested in the role played by schools and higher education institutions (as organisations) in developing leadership capabilities and shaping leader identities and in examining how social practices and policies in these workplaces continually and systematically exclude women and other marginalised groups from leadership. Her research is oriented towards challenging traditional notions of leadership that tend to exclude women and unearthing transformative practices that promote [gender] equity in educational leadership.
Dr Pontso Moorosi is an associate professor of educational leadership and management at the Centre for Education Studies. She teaches in educational leadership and education research methods that include practice-based research for school leaders and non-practitioner research for postgraduate students interested in studying leadership as an academic discipline. This influences the deconstruction of leadership in her teaching to enable students to engage leadership as a socially constructed process. Key to this focus is the ability to engage alternative perspectives to developing leadership capabilities and leadership identities.
Dr Moorosi joined the CES with international experience from higher education and schools from Africa and Canada (from her brief postdoctoral exposure). Her background shapes her perspectives towards access and equity in education as well as her engagement with students from diverse local and international contexts (see her PG supervisions below). She recently completed a research project on leadership preparation and development in Africa and another one on cross-cultural intersections of leadership among black women leaders across three continents.
She reviews regularly for peer-reviewed publications and serves on editorial boards. She is an active member of British Educational Leadership Management and Administration Society (BELMAS) and co-convenor of the Gender in Leadership research interest group. She is also a member of Women Leading Education Network (an international network with global membership from all continents).
- Moorosi, Pontso, 2021. Colour-blind educational leadership policy : a critical race theory analysis of school principalship standards in South Africa. Educational Management Administration & Leadership, 49 (4), pp. 644-661
- Moorosi, Pontso, 2020. Constructions of leadership identities via narratives of African women school leaders. Frontiers in Education, 5
- Komiti, Moikabi, Moorosi, Pontso, 2020. Career development of women principals in Lesotho : influences, opportunities and challenges. Journal of Education
- Cliffe, Joanne, Fuller, Kay, Moorosi, Pontso, 2018. Secondary school leadership preparation and development : experiences and aspirations of members of senior leadership teams (SLTs). Management in Education, 32 (2), pp. 85-91
- Bantwini, B. D., Moorosi, Pontso, 2018. The Circuit Managers as the weakest link in the school district leadership chain! Perspectives from a province in South Africa. South African Journal of Education, 38 (3)
- Bantwini, Bongani D., Moorosi, Pontso, 2018. School district support to schools : voices and perspectives of school principals in a province in South Africa. International Journal of Leadership in Education, 21 (6), pp. 757-770
- Moorosi, Pontso, Grant, Callie, 2018. Socialisation and leader identity development of school leaders in four Southern African countries. Journal of Educational Administration, 56 (6), pp. 643-658
- Moorosi, Pontso, Fuller, K., Reilly, E., 2018. Leadership and intersectionality : constructions of successful leadership among black women school principals in three different contexts. Management in Education, 32 (4), pp. 152-159
- McKillop, Ewa, Moorosi, Pontso, 2017. Career development of English female head-teachers : influences, decisions and perceptions. School Leadership & Management, 37 (4), pp. 334-353
- Moorosi, Pontso, Bantwini, Bongani D., 2016. School district leadership styles and school improvement : evidence from selected school principals in the Eastern Cape Province. South African Journal of Education, 36 (4)
- Sopromadze, Natia, Moorosi, Pontso, 2016. Do we see through their eyes? Testing a bilingual questionnaire in education research using cognitive interviews. International Journal of Research and Method in Education, 40 (5), pp. 524-540
- Moorosi, Pontso, 2014. Constructing a leader's identity through a leadership development programme. Educational Management Administration & Leadership, 42 (6), pp. 792-807
- Moorosi, Pontso, 2012. Mentoring for school leadership in South Africa : diversity, dissimilarity and disadvantage. Professional Development in Education, 38 (3), pp. 487-503
- Kiggundu, Edith, Moorosi, Pontso, 2012. Networking for school leadership in South Africa : perceptions and realities. School Leadership & Management, 32 (3), pp. 215-232
- Moorosi, Pontso, 2011. Gender, skills development and poverty reduction. Agenda, Vol.23 (No.81), pp. 110-117
- Bush, Tony, Kiggundu, Edith, Moorosi, Pontso, 2011. Preparing new principals in South Africa : the ACE : school leadership programme. South African Journal of Education, Vol.31 (No.1), pp. 31-43
- Moorosi, Pontso, Bush, Tony, 2011. School leadership development in Commonwealth countries : learning across the boundaries. International Studies in Educational Administration, Vol.39 (No.3)
- Moorosi, Pontso, 2010. South African female principals' career paths : understanding the gender gap in secondary school management. Educational Management Administration & Leadership, Vol.38 (No.5), pp. 547-562
- Moorosi, Pontso, 2020. Introduction and setting the scene. In Moorosi, Pontso; Bush, Tony (eds.), Preparation and Development of School Leaders in Africa, London, Bloomsbury Publishing, pp. 1-16
- Moorosi, Pontso, Komiti, M., 2020. Experiences of school leadership preparation and development in Lesotho. In Moorosi, Pontso; Bush, Tony (eds.), Preparation and Development of School Leaders in Africa, London, Bloomsbury Publishing, pp. 37-54
- Moorosi, Pontso, 2019. Gender and educational leadership. Bush, T.; Bell, L.; Middlewood, D. (eds.), Principles of Educational Leadership & Management, London, SAGE Publications Ltd
- Moorosi, Pontso, Fuller, Kay, Reilly, Elizabeth C., 2016. A comparative analysis of intersections of gender and race among black female school leaders in South Africa, United Kingdom and the United States. In Miller, Paul (ed.), Cultures of Educational Leadership, London, Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 77-94
- Moorosi, Pontso, 2011. Looking back : women principals reflect on their childhood experiences. In Mitchell, Claudia; Strong-Wilson, T.; Pithouse, K.; Allnutt, S. (eds.), Memory and pedagogy, New York, NY ; London, Routledge, pp. 209-222
- Chisholm, Linda, Haupt, I., Hoadley, Ursula, Lewin, T., Mawoyo, M., Moletsane, Ramoshebi I. Maboee, Moorosi, Pontso, 2009. Gender, identity and institutional culture : women students' constructions of success at three South African universities. Pretoria, Department of Education
- Moorosi, Pontso, 2009. Leading together : the changing face of school leadership in the age of HIV and AIDS. In Mitchell, C.; Pithouse, K. (eds.), Teaching and HIV/AIDS in the South African classroom, Johannesburg : South Africa, Macmillan, pp. 78-89
- Moorosi, Pontso, 2021. Review of Race, education and educational leadership in England : an integrated analysis edited by Miller, P. and Callender, C.. Educational Review, Taylor & Francis, pp. 130-131
|Title||Funder||Award start||Award end|
|Preparing School Leaders: the African Perspective||British Educational Leadership Management and Administration Society (BELMAS)||01 Sep 2012||31 Aug 2013|