Prof Des Hewitt - Head of Primary Teacher Education
As Head of Primary and Early Years Teacher Education at the University of Warwick, Des places teaching and learning at the heart of his work. With over 25 years teaching experience in schools and Universities, he has been recognized for his national and international profile in Teacher Education. He was awarded a National Teaching Fellowship by the Higher Education Academy and is a Professor at Warwick.
Des has experience of promoting and evolving the model of partnership for trainee primary school teachers, in England and in other countries. He has:
- advised UK government organisations in developing English and reading for University ITT providers;
- lead Universities in developing practice in special education needs and disability;
- sat on a steering group in the Department for Children, Schools and Families, evaluating the impact of training for inclusion in teacher education.
Working with schools and the Teacher Education sector in Tanzania, has been a focus for Des in recent years. Collaborative projects with researchers and educators in Finland, Germany, India and Hungary have also provided the opportunity to share ideas about teacher education, partnership development and research skills, internationally. Des supports emerging researchers through the European Educational Research Association.
Professional & Teaching Expertise
Teacher Education, Educational research and evaluation, Primary English, SEND, EAL, innovation and change management in schools, curriculum design and evaluation
Academic Interests & Teaching & Learning Specialisms
Assessment for learning, learning spaces, teacher memories, mindfulness and mental health in teacher and pupils, EAL, academic integrity
Inaugural professorial lecture.
“Education and the Common Good: University and School transformation through teacher education.” June 2019
Publications & Projects
- Crossley, N and Hewitt D. (2021) Inclusion: a Principled Guide for School Leaders. London: Routledge.
- Hewitt, D and Wright, B. (2018): Engagement, Motivation and Empowerment. London: Sage
- Hewitt, D. and Tarrant, S. (2015): Innovation in education. London: Sage
- Hewitt, D., Cunningham, D., and Baines, J. (2014): Primary ITT English App for Smartphone. Every Child Counts.
- Hewitt, D. and Kimmelman, N. (2012): Learning spaces. ECER Conference, Cadiz
- Hewitt, D. and Uitto, M. (2011): Teacher memories. ECER Conference, Berlin
- Chair of Primary and Early Years UCET Committee
- National Teaching Fellow
- Senior Teaching Fellow
- Fellow of the Warwick Institute of Engagement
- External Examiner: University of Exeter and University of Nottingham.
- Member: North Star Community Schools Trust, Enfield and Harmony Trust, Oldham.
- Editor: International Journal of Innovation in Education