The Anthropocene and critical environmental politics; ethics, environment and climate change; disastrous, catastrophic and apocalyptic visions of environmental futures; the ethical in concepts of nature, time and subjectivity; ecological security.
- Theories of International Relations, ethics, and global security; Critical, Poststructuralist and post-foundational approaches to global politics; International Political Theory; Contemporary political theory; discourse analysis and critical methodologies; the political implications of ethical theories; aesthetic and everyday approaches to ethics; ethical narratives in film, literature and popular culture; ethics and responses to terrorism in British, European, and global contexts.
Critical, Normative, and Interpretive Social and Philosophical thought; Poststructuralist philosophy; the work of Emmanuel Levinas, Jacques Derrida and Jean-Luc Nancy; theories of responsibility and ethics; theories of time and temporality; theories of subjecticity, identity and political community.
Recent conference presentations (select)
- 'Anthropocene Security', Territory, Law and the Anthropocene workshop, Warwick, December 2017.
- 'On the dangers of an anthropocene era: periodisation, epochalisation and the geological subject', Anthropocene Mobilities Workshop, Hamburg, June 2017.
- ‘Security in the Anthropocene: Environment, Ecology, Escape’, Annual Convention of the International Studies Association (ISA), Atlanta, March 2016.
- ‘The Domestication of Apocalypse: Ethics and Environmental Disaster’, The Ethics and Politics of Apocalyptic Imaginaries Workshop, IAS, University of Warwick, November 2016.
- Poststructuralist ethics’, BISA Ethics and World Politics working group inaugural workshop, City University London, October 2016.
- ‘Past Actions, Present Woes: History and Anthropogenic Climate Change’ Seminar Series, University of Exeter, 23 November 2012.
- Paper presented at 'Temporalities of the Political' Workshop, Swedish Institute of International Affairs, 30 November 2012.
‘Ethics and the Logic of the Future in International Relations’, BISA-ISA Joint Conference, Edinburgh 20-22 June 2012.
- 'Drawing the Line Between Ethics and Politics: Implications for Practical Politics', BISA workshop, Postcoloniality and the Limits of Poststructural IR, University of Aberdeen, November 18-19 2011.
Roundtable participant, Aberystwyth-Lancaster Graduate Colloquium, Aberystwyth University, June 2011.
'Imagining Ethical Futures: Disaster, Dystopia, Catastrophe', Annual Convention of the International Studies Association, Montreal, March 2011.
‘Risking Response: Responsibility and the Other’, Annual Convention of the International Studies Association, San Francisco, CA, 26-29 March, 2008.
‘From Difference to Alterity: Thinking the Other in Emmanuel Levinas’, Annual Convention of the International Studies Association, San Francisco, CA, 26-29 March, 2008.
‘The Ontopolitics of Response’, Annual Convention of the International Studies Association, Chicago, IL, 2007.
‘Difference, Alterity and the Face’, paper presented at the Annual Conference of the British International Studies Association, University of Cambridge, 2007.
Global Research Fellowship, Institute of Advanced Study, University of Warwick, 2012-2016.
British Academy Overseas Conference Grant (£500). For attendance at the International Studies Association annual conference, Montreal, March 2011.
ESRC 1+3 Doctoral Studentship, Department of International Politics, Aberystwyth University, 2005-2009.
University of Wales Gregynog Colloquia Support Fund (£2500), 2005.
Cambridge Review of International Studies, Critical Military Studies, European Journal of International Relations, International Studies Quarterly, Millennium, Oxford University Press, Political Theory, Review of International Studies, Security Dialogue, Journal of International Relations Research, Palgrave Macmillan, Editorial Review Board for the Journal of International Relations Research.