- Hassan, Oz (2013) Constructing America's Freedom Agenda for the Middle East: Democracy or Domination (Routledge US Foreign Policy Series).
Paperback released in 2014 available here
"Skillfully navigating ideologically-infested waters, Hassan arrives at valuable insights and persuasive, dispassionate conclusions about U.S. policy under both Bush and Obama relating to Arab political change. A fine example of rigorous, reflective scholarship applied to current policy issues of considerable importance and controversy." Thomas Carothers, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, Washington D.C.
Edited Special Issues
- Hassan, Oz and Jason Ralph (2011) The International Journal of Human Rights 15:4 including an extensive introduction to ‘Democracy Promotion and Human Rights in US Foreign Policy’. [Entry on Journals Most Read List]
- Hassan, O. (Accepted for publication in 2020) 'Artificial Intelligence, Neom, and Saudi Arabia’s Economic Diversification from Oil and Gas', The Political Quarterly
- Hassan, O. (Under Review) 'Crisis, Narratives, and the Construction of US-Middle East Relations: Continuity and Change in World History and Trump's America First' (TBC)
- Hassan, O. (2019) 'The Evolution of the European Union’s Failed Approach to Afghanistan', European Security, (Available online: Print TBC) https://doi.org/10.1080/09662839.2019.1679773
- Hassan, O. (2017) 'Trump, Islamophobia, and US–Middle East relations', Critical Studies on Security, DOI:10.1080/21624887.2017.1355158
- Hassan, O. (2017) 'The $74 Billion Problem: U.S. Egyptian Relations after the "Arab Awakening"', International Politics, DOI:10.1057/s41311-017-0032-1
- Hassan, O. (2015) ‘Undermining the Transatlantic Democracy Agenda? The Arab Spring and Saudi Arabia’s Counteracting Democracy Agenda’ Democratization, 22:3 pp.479-495
- Hassan, O. (2015) ‘Political Security: From the 1990s to the Arab Spring’ Contemporary Politics, 21:1, pp.86-99. (Permalink)
- Hassan, O. (2015) 'Constructivist-Institutionalism and the Invasion of Iraq: Crisis, Learning and the National Interest', Horizons in Humanities and Social Sciences (آفاق في العلوم الإنسانية والعلوم الاجتماعية) (Journal published in English and Arabic) 1:1, pp.66-87
- Hassan, Oz (2013) "Securitising Proliferation, failing Security Governance: The European Union's role in the India-Pakistan Nuclear Rivalry", The Asia Europe Journal 11:2 pp.93-112
- Hanau Santini, Ruth & Hassan, Oz (2012) 'Transatlantic Democracy Promotion and the Arab Spring' The International Spectator, 17:3 pp.65-82
- Hassan, Oz (2011) ‘The Rise and Fall of American’s Freedom Agenda in Afghanistan: Counter-terrorism, Nation-Building and Democracy’ The International Journal of Human Rights 15:4 pp.532-551
- Hassan, Oz (2010) 'Constructing Crises, (In)securitising Terror: The Punctuated Evolution of EU Counter-Terror Strategy' in European Security, 19:3 pp.445-66; Republished in Christou, G., and Croft, S. 'European Security Governance'
- Hassan, Oz (2008) ‘Bush’s Freedom Agenda: Ideology and the Democratization of the Middle East’, Democracy and Security; 4:3 pp.268-289
- House of Commons Foreign Affairs Committee, The FCO's human rights work in 2013 (Published November 2014), Written evidence from Dr Oz Hassan (HRS0006), Department of Politics and International Studies, the University of Warwick
- House of Commons Foreign Affairs Committee, The UK's response to extremism and instability in North and West Africa (Published March 2014) Written evidence from Dr Oz Hassan & Dr Elizabeth Iskander Monier, Department of Politics and International Studies, the University of Warwick
- Hassan, O. (2018) "The Terminal Decline of American Democracy Promotion in the Middle East" in M. Clementi et al. (eds.), US Foreign Policy in a Challenging World, Chapter 12 (Springer).
- Hassan, O. (2015) "The EU’s Diverging Strategy for a Changing Iraq", in Hauser, K. eds, Iraq at a Crossroads (Friedrich Ebert Stiftung and Casa Arabe)
- Croft, Stuart & Hassan, O. (2015) "Understanding the Arab Spring" in Cooper C. & Michie J. eds, Why the Social Sciences Matter, pp.161-175 (Academy of Social Sciences & Palgrave Macmillan).
- Hassan, Oz (2012) 'Computer Assisted Qualitative Data Analysis Software (CAQDAS)' in L. Shepherd Critical Approaches to Security: An Introduction to Theories and Methods, Chapter 14.
- Hassan, Oz (2012) 'American Democracy Promotion in the Middle East: Lessons for Europe?' in J. Peters The European Union and the Arab Spring: Promoting Democracy and Human Rights in the Middle East (Lexington Books: New York).
- Hassan, Oz (2010) 'Constructing Crises, (In)securitising Terror: The Punctuated Evolution of EU Counter-Terror Strategy' in Christou, G., and Croft, S., European Security Governance, pp.109-130 (Routledge)
- Hassan, Oz (2010) 'America’s Freedom Dilemma for the Middle East: Interests or Democracy?' in M. Pace Europe, The USA and Political Islam: Strategies for Engagement (Palgrave Macmillan).
- Dunn, D. H. and Hassan, Oz (2010) 'Strategic Confusion: America’s Conflicting Strategies and the War on Terrorism'in A. Siniver Terrorism and Counter-Terrorism in the Post 9/11 Era: Western and Non-Western Approaches (Routledge)
- Hassan, Oz (2014) "U.S. Foreign Policy" in The Oxford Companion to International Relations (Oxford University Press: New York).
Official Reports and Working Papers
- Hassan, Oz (2012) The Arab Spring: US Policy and Lessons for Europe, Report for EU FP7 GR:EEN.
- Croft, Stuart, Christou, George and Hassan, Oz (2012) The EU and WMD, Report for EU FP7 EU-GRASP.
- Croft, Stuart, Christou, George and Hassan, Oz (2012) The EU and Terrorism, Report for EU FP7 EU-GRASP.
- Croft, Stuart and Hassan, Oz (2011) The Death of Bin Laden: Implications for Europe, Report for EU FP7 GR:EEN.
- Hassan, Oz (2011) American Democracy Promotion and the Arab Spring, Report for EU FP7 GR:EEN.
- Hassan, Oz (2011) The EU’s Counter-proliferation strategy in India and Pakistan, Report for EU FP7 EU-GRASP.
- Hassan, Oz (2011) The EU’s counter-terrorism strategy in Afghanistan, Report for EU FP7 EU-GRASP.
- Hassan, Oz (2010) EU Bilateral cooperation in transversal issues, Report for EU FP7 EU-GRASP.
- Hassan, Oz (2010) Using NVivo in advanced Security Studies Research Methods: DVD and Workbook.
- Hassan, Oz (2010) Mapping EU Bilateralism, Report for EU FP7 EU-GRASP.
- Hassan, Oz (2010) EU-GRASP Handbook: From Methodology to Research Methods, Report for EU FP7 EU-GRASP.
Reviews and Commentaries
- Hassan, Oz (2017) "Making the unipolar moment: U.S. foreign policy and the rise of the post-Cold War order" International Affairs, 93 (1): 242-243
- Hassan, Oz (2014) "Looking for a Strategy", Society Now: ESRC Research Making an Impact, Autumn: 20, p.14
- Hassan, Oz (2013) "American Democracy Promotion and the Arab Spring", International Studies Today, April/May pp.12-14
- Hassan, Oz (2009) ‘After Bush - The Case for Continuity in American Foreign Policy’Roundtable with authors; Argentia: Newsletter of the BISA US foreign policy working group, 1 (3): 3-8
- Hassan, Oz (2008) ‘Stuck in Customs’, Argentia: Newsletter of the BISA US foreign policy working group, 1 (2): 1-2
- The Square (2013) Documentary - 'Thanks' received
- Hassan, O. (2016). Obama administration foreign and security speeches: 2009 to 2013. [Data Collection]. Colchester, Essex: UK Data Archive. 10.5255/UKDA-SN-852391