- Hassan, Oz (2013) Constructing America's Freedom Agenda for the Middle East: Democracy or Domination (Routledge US Foreign Policy Series).
Paperback released in 2014 available here
"Skillfully navigating ideologically-infested waters, Hassan arrives at valuable insights and persuasive, dispassionate conclusions about U.S. policy under both Bush and Obama relating to Arab political change. A fine example of rigorous, reflective scholarship applied to current policy issues of considerable importance and controversy." Thomas Carothers, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, Washington D.C.
Edited Special Issues
- Hassan, Oz and Jason Ralph (2011) The International Journal of Human Rights 15:4 including an extensive introduction to ‘Democracy Promotion and Human Rights in US Foreign Policy’. [Entry on Journals Most Read List]
- Hassan, O. (2017) 'Trump, Islamophobia and US–Middle East relations', Critical Studies on Security, DOI:10.1080/21624887.2017.1355158
- Hassan, O. (2017) 'The $74 Billion Problem: U.S. Egyptian Relations after the "Arab Awakening"', International Politics, DOI:10.1057/s41311-017-0032-1
- Hassan, O. (2015) ‘Undermining the Transatlantic Democracy Agenda? The Arab Spring and Saudi Arabia’s Counteracting Democracy Agenda’ Democratization, 22:3 pp.479-495
- Hassan, O. (2015) ‘Political Security: From the 1990s to the Arab Spring’ Contemporary Politics, 21:1, pp.86-99. (Permalink)
- Hassan, O. (2015) 'Constructivist-Institutionalism and the Invasion of Iraq: Crisis, Learning and the National Interest', Horizons in Humanities and Social Sciences (آفاق في العلوم الإنسانية والعلوم الاجتماعية) (Journal published in English and Arabic) 1:1, pp.66-87
- Hassan, Oz (2013) "Securitising Proliferation, failing Security Governance: The European Union's role in the India-Pakistan Nuclear Rivalry", The Asia Europe Journal 11:2 pp.93-112
- Hanau Santini, Ruth & Hassan, Oz (2012) 'Transatlantic Democracy Promotion and the Arab Spring' The International Spectator, 17:3 pp.65-82
- Hassan, Oz (2011) ‘The Rise and Fall of American’s Freedom Agenda in Afghanistan: Counter-terrorism, Nation-Building and Democracy’ The International Journal of Human Rights 15:4 pp.532-551
- Hassan, Oz (2010) 'Constructing Crises, (In)securitising Terror: The Punctuated Evolution of EU Counter-Terror Strategy' in European Security, 19:3 pp.445-66; Republished in Christou, G. and Croft, S. 'European Security Governance'
- Hassan, Oz (2008) ‘Bush’s Freedom Agenda: Ideology and the Democratization of the Middle East’, Democracy and Security; 4:3 pp.268-289
- Hassan, O. (2017) "The Terminal Decline of American Democracy Promotion in the Middle East" in M. Clementi et al. (eds.), US Foreign Policy in a Challenging World, Chapter 12 (Springer).
- Hassan, O. (2015) "The EU’s Diverging Strategy for a Changing Iraq", in Hauser, K. eds, Iraq at a Crossroads (Friedrich Ebert Stiftung and Casa Arabe)
- Croft, Stuart & Hassan, O. (2015) "Understanding the Arab Spring" in Cooper C. & Michie J. eds, Why the Social Sciences Matter, pp.161-175 (Academy of Social Sciences & Palgrave Macmillan).
- Hassan, Oz (2012) 'Computer Assisted Qualitative Data Analysis Software (CAQDAS)' in L. Shepherd Critical Approaches to Security: An Introduction to Theories and Methods, Chapter 14.
- Hassan, Oz (2012) 'American Democracy Promotion in the Middle East: Lessons for Europe?' in J. Peters The European Union and the Arab Spring: Promoting Democracy and Human Rights in the Middle East (Lexington Books: New York).
- Hassan, Oz (2010) 'Constructing Crises, (In)securitising Terror: The Punctuated Evolution of EU Counter-Terror Strategy' in Christou, G. and Croft, S., European Security Governance, pp.109-130 (Routledge)
- Hassan, Oz (2010) 'America’s Freedom Dilemma for the Middle East: Interests or Democracy?' in M. Pace Europe, The USA and Political Islam: Strategies for Engagement (Palgrave Macmillan).
- Dunn, D. H. and Hassan, Oz (2010) 'Strategic Confusion: America’s Conflicting Strategies and the War on Terrorism'in A. Siniver Terrorism and Counter-Terrorism in the Post 9/11 Era: Western and Non-Western Approaches (Routledge)
- Hassan, Oz (2014) "U.S. Foreign Policy" in The Oxford Companion to International Relations (Oxford University Press: New York).
Official Reports and Working Papers
- Hassan, Oz (2012) The Arab Spring: US Policy and Lessons for Europe, Report for EU FP7 GR:EEN.
- Croft, Stuart, Christou, George and Hassan, Oz (2012) The EU and WMD, Report for EU FP7 EU-GRASP.
- Croft, Stuart, Christou, George and Hassan, Oz (2012) The EU and Terrorism, Report for EU FP7 EU-GRASP.
- Croft, Stuart and Hassan, Oz (2011) The Death of Bin Laden: Implications for Europe, Report for EU FP7 GR:EEN.
- Hassan, Oz (2011) American Democracy Promotion and the Arab Spring, Report for EU FP7 GR:EEN.
- Hassan, Oz (2011) The EU’s Counter-proliferation strategy in India and Pakistan, Report for EU FP7 EU-GRASP.
- Hassan, Oz (2011) The EU’s counter-terrorism strategy in Afghanistan, Report for EU FP7 EU-GRASP.
- Hassan, Oz (2010) EU Bilateral cooperation in transversal issues, Report for EU FP7 EU-GRASP.
- Hassan, Oz (2010) Using NVivo in advanced Security Studies Research Methods: DVD and Workbook.
- Hassan, Oz (2010) Mapping EU Bilateralism, Report for EU FP7 EU-GRASP.
- Hassan, Oz (2010) EU-GRASP Handbook: From Methodology to Research Methods, Report for EU FP7 EU-GRASP.
Reviews and Commentaries
- Hassan, Oz (2017) "Making the unipolar moment: U.S. foreign policy and the rise of the post-Cold War order" International Affairs, 93 (1): 242-243
- Hassan, Oz (2014) "Looking for a Strategy", Society Now: ESRC Research Making an Impact, Autumn: 20, p.14
- Hassan, Oz (2013) "American Democracy Promotion and the Arab Spring", International Studies Today, April/May pp.12-14
- Hassan, Oz (2009) ‘After Bush - The Case for Continuity in American Foreign Policy’Roundtable with authors; Argentia: Newsletter of the BISA US foreign policy working group, 1 (3): 3-8
- Hassan, Oz (2008) ‘Stuck in Customs’, Argentia: Newsletter of the BISA US foreign policy working group, 1 (2): 1-2
- Hassan, O. (2016). Obama administration foreign and security speeches: 2009 to 2013. [Data Collection]. Colchester, Essex: UK Data Archive. 10.5255/UKDA-SN-852391