* The Politics of New Atheism (with S. McAnulla and M. Schulzke), Routledge, 2018.
* The Political Economy of Exchange Rate Policy-Making, Palgrave, 2004.
* 'You Can't Argue With God: Religious Opposition to Same-Sex Marriage in Britain', Journal of Church and State, f/c.
* 'What's Really New About New Atheism?', Palgrave Communications , 2016.
* 'The Collective Action Framing of Conservative Christian Groups in Britain', Politics and Religion, 2016.
* 'Always Read the Label: The Identity and Strategy of Britain's "Christian Right"', Politics, Religion and Ideology, 2016.
* 'Non-Religious Political Activism: Patterns of Conflict and Mobilisation in the United States and Britain', Journal of Religion in Europe 8(3/4): 365-91, 2015.
* 'The Militant Strain: An Analysis of Anti-Secular Discourse in Britain', Political Studies 6(3): 512-28, 2015.
* 'Do we Need a Political Science of Religion?', Political Studies Review, 2014.
* 'Divided we Stand: The Politics of the Atheist Movement in the United States', Journal of Contemporary Religion 29(3), 2014.
* 'New Atheism: The Politics of Unbelief', E-International Relations, June 2014.
*'Faithless: The Politics of New Atheism', Secularism and Non-Religion, 2: 61-78, 2013.
* 'Let's Call the Whole Thing Off', Publicspirit, http://www.publicspirit.org.uk/lets-call-the-whole-thing-off/
* 'I Do, Thou Shalt Not: Religious Opposition to Same-Sex Marriage in Britain', Political Quarterly, 84(2), 2013.
* 'State Religion and Freedom: A Comparative Analysis', Politics and Religion, 6, 2013.
* 'New Imperialism: Towards a Holistic Approach' (with Alex Sutton), International Studies Review, 2013.
* 'Dilemmas of Discourse: Legitimising Britain's War on Terror', British Journal of Politics and International Relations (September 2012).
* 'Austerity is not enough: The Coalition Government and the Lessons of the ERM', British Politics Review, 7(2), Spring 2012.
* 'Religion and the Big Society: A Match Made in Heaven?', Policy and Politics 40(2), 2012.
* 'Has Political Science Ignored Religion?', Political Science and Politics 45(1), 2012.
* 'Rites of Passage: Discursive Strategies in the 2008 Human Fertilisation and Embryology Bill Debate', Political Studies 58(4), 2010.
* 'Taking the Power of Ideas Seriously: The Case of the 2008 Human Fertilisation and Embryology Bill' (with Paul Cairney), Policy Studies 31(3), 2010.
* 'On the Public Discourse of Religion: An Analysis of Christianity in the UK', Politics and Religion 2(3), 2009.
* 'The Curious Incident of the Dog That Didn't Bark in the Night Time: Structure and Agency in Britain's War With Iraq', Politics and Policy 37(2), 2009.
* 'Did Secularism Win Out? The Debate Over the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Bill', Political Quarterly 80(1), 2009.
* 'One Year On: The Decline and Fall of Gordon Brown' (with Peter Kerr), British Politics 3(4), 2008.
* 'Does Depoliticisation Work? Evidence From Britain's Membership of the Exchange Rate Mechanism, 1990-1992', British Journal of Politics and International Relations 10(4), 2008: 630-648.
* 'The Political Economy of Open Source Software in the UK', The Bulletin of Science, Technology and Society 28(4), 2008.
* 'Who's Afraid of Saddam Hussein?: Re-Examining the 'September Dossier' Affair', Contemporary British History 22(3), 2008.
* 'In Defence of British Politics: The Past, Present, and Future of the Discipline' (with Peter Kerr), British Politics 1(1), 2006.
* 'Circuits of Capital and Overproduction: A Marxist Analysis of the Present World Economic Crisis', Review of Radical Political Economics 38(1), 2006.
* 'Why New Labour Wants the Euro', Political Quarterly 75(1), 2004
* 'Social Capital and Religion in the United Kingdom', in P. Manuel (ed.), Faith-Based Organizations and the Welfare State in Contemporary Europe, Palgrave, London, 2018.
* 'Religion, Secularism and the Public Sphere', in P. Zuckerman (ed.), Beyond Religion, MacMillan, New York, 2016.
* 'Illiberal Secularism? Pro-Faith Discourse in the United Kingdom', in T. Hjelm (ed.), Is God Back? Reconsidering the New Visibility of Religion, Bloomsbury, London, 2016.
* Contributor (various items) to M. Bevir (ed), Encyclopedia of Political Theory, Sage Publications, (3 vols), 2010.
* 'Britain and the International Economy' (with Peter Burnham), The Oxford Handbook of British Politics, 2009.
Conferences, seminar papers and public talks
* 'Do Religious Actors Use Public Reason?', Annual Conference of the Non-Religion and Secularity Network, Kings College London, July 2018.
* 'Examining Religious Opposition to Assisted Dying in Britain', Annual Conference of the Political Studies Association, University of Cardiff, March 2018.
* 'Has Religious Public Discourse Been Secularised? Examining the Case of Assisted Dying in Britain', Symposium on Politics and Religion, University of Manchester, March 2018.
* 'Religion and Morality: The Strategic Calculation of Public Discourse', Annual Conference of the Political Studies Association, Brighton, 2016.
* 'What's Really New About 'New Atheism'?', Annual Conference of the Sociology of Religion Study Group, High Leigh Conference Centre, July, 2015.
* 'Atheism in the Twenty-First Century: Something New Under the Sun?', PaIS Departmental Conference, June 2015.
* 'What's Really New About 'New Atheism'?', Annual Conference of the Political Studies Association, Sheffield City Hall, April 2015.
* 'New Atheism, Religion and Violence', Panel Discussion on Security and Religion in Today's World Affairs, Cambridge International Studies Association and the Von Hugel Institute, University of Cambridge, January 2015.
* 'Militant Secularism: Myth or Monster?', Conference of the Political Studies Association, Midland Hotel, Manchester, April 2014.
* 'The Politics of New Atheism', Conference on Religion, Democracy and Law, London Metropolitan University, 16 January 2014.
* 'The Limits of Secularisation? Religious Opposition to Same-Sex Marriage in the UK', Sacred and Secular: Researching the Role of Religion in Contemporary Europe, Workshop, Leicester University 21 June 2013.
* 'A Militant Tendency? Analysing Anti-Secular Discourse in Britain', British Sociological Association Conference, Grand Connaught Rooms, London, April 2013.
* 'Are Politics and Religion Compatible?', Cafe Politique event, Durham University, 29 January 2013.
* 'Barbarians at the Gates? The Rise of "Militant Secularism" in Britain', BSA Socrel / HEA Teaching and Studying Religion 2nd Annual Symposium: Religion and Citizenship: Rethinking the Boundaries of Religion and the Secular, December 2012.
* 'O Come all Ye Faithful: Religion and the Big Society', Policy and Politics 2012 Conference, Bristol.
* 'The Paradox of "Militant Secularism"', Conference of the Non-Religion and Secularity Research Network, Goldsmith's University of London, July 2012.
* 'You're Doing it Wrong: Ritual, Politics and Irreligion in the Twenty First Century', The Sacred and the Profane: Rituals of Global Politics, Warwick University, May 2012.
* 'The Politics of New Atheism: Novelty, Strategy and Discourse', Conference of (New) Atheism, Scientism and Open Mindedness, Lancaster University, April 2012.
* 'Political Science, Religion and Secularisation', Lecture to the Leicester Secular Society, July 2011.
* 'Has Political Science Ignored Religion?'. Conference of the Political Studies Association, Novotel London West, April 2011.
* 'Dilemmas of Discourse'. Workshop at Berkeley University, December 2010.
* 'Re-Conceptualising the Iraq War'. Conference of the Political Studies Association, Reading University, April 2006.
* 'Does Depoliticisation Work?'. Seminar on depoliticisation, Sheffield University, January 2006.