My research interests in the philosophy of mind are in the philosophy of perception, temporal phenomenology, the philosophy of action and mental action, consciousness and the ontology of mind. Another focus of my research has been the epistemology of mental action and its relevance to our understanding of the epistemology of mind in general. In The Mind’s Construction (2013, OUP), I argue that the right account of the epistemology of mental action has a crucial role to play in an account of how we know what we are doing when we are consciously thinking, and I connect this with differences between dreaming and wakeful states of consciousness. In The Mind’s Construction, I also explore some of the ways in which the ethics of belief may be affected once various ontological and agential considerations regarding the activity of conscious thinking are properly accommodated. Further research interests in epistemology include the epistemological role of perception and memory.
- "The Particularity of Visual Perception", European Journal of Philosophy (2000) 8(2), pp. 173-189.
- "Mental Action and Epistemology of Mind", Nous (2005) 39 (1), pp. 83-105.
- "The Subjective View of Experience and Its Objective Commitments", Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society (2005) 105.
- "Content and the Stream of Consciousness", Philosophical Perspectives (2007) Volume 21, Issue 1, pp. 543-568
- "The Epistemoligical Role of Episodic Recollection", Philosophy and Phenomenological Research. (2008) Vol. 77, Issue 1, pp. 472-492
- "Mental Agency, Conscious Thinking and Phenomenal Character". In Mental Actions, ed. L. O'Brien and M. Soteriou (2009) OUP.
- "The Disjunctive Theory of Perception" (2009) The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- "Perceiving Events" Philosophical Explorations (2010) 13 (3): 223-241
- "The Perception of Absence, Space and Time", (2011) in Perception, Causation, and Objectivity, eds. N. Eilan, H. Lerman, and J. Roessler. Oxford University Press
- "Cartesian Reflections on the Autonomy of the Mental", (2011) in New Waves in Philosophy of Action, eds. J. Aguilar, A. Buckareff, and K. Frankish. Palgrave Macmillan (Draft)
- "Occurrent Perceptual Knowledge", (2011) in Philosophical Issues (Draft)
- "The Ontology of Emotion", (forthcoming) in H. Naar And F. Teroni eds. The Ontology of Emotions. Cambridge
- "Experience, Process, Continuity and Boundary", (forthcoming) in R. Stout ed. Process, Action, and Experience. Oxford University Press
- "Sound and Illusion", (forthcoming) in Perceptual Ephemera. (T. Crowther and C. MacCumhaill eds.). Oxford
- The Mind's Construction: the ontology of mind and mental action (2013) Oxford University Press
- Disjunctivism (forthcoming) Routledge
- Mental Actions, edited with Lucy O'Brien (2009) Oxford University Press
M.J.Soteriou at warwick.ac.uk
Office : S2.43