I obtained my Ph.D. in Philosophy at the University of Warwick and Monash University (Australia) in 2019. I have been a Postgraduate Fellow at the European University Institute (Italy), an Early Career Fellow at the Institute of Advanced Study (IAS) of the University of Warwick, and a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro (PUC-Rio, Brazil). I am an IAS Associate Fellow and a Teaching Assistant at the Philosophy department at the University of Warwick. I specialise in Continental Philosophy, and my work gravitates around the problem of norms, normativity, and modes of living, and I explore this issue in ethics, social and political philosophy, and the history of philosophy.
My first research strand explores the field of biopolitics and the concept of life, especially the notions of norm and normativity in the works of Michel Foucault and Georges Canguilhem. My attempt is to read Foucault’s work from the perspective of Canguilhem’s notions of norm and normativity. This framework allows me to understand the continuities between different moments of Foucault’s research, mobilising the notion of norm in order to understand both the functioning of power over life and modern governmental technologies, and the relation to norms mobilised in the creation of ways of life and the government of the self. I am currently working on a monograph on this topic, On the Politics of the Living: Life and Norms in Foucault and Canguilhem.
I am also beginnig to work on a second book project focusing on the ethical and political aspects of Canguilhem's thought.
My second research strand explores the revival of the Hellenistic tradition within modern and contemporary philosophy. I am preparing a critical edition and translation of Jean-Marie Guyau’s The Ethics of Epicurus (co-edited with Keith Ansell-Pearson) and, together with Matthew Sharpe, I have translated and edited Pierre Hadot’s Selected Writings. Philosophy as Practice (Bloomsbury 2020).
As a lecturer and tutor, I worked at Deakin University (Australia), Monash University (Australia), as well as in different institutions in Brazil. I have teaching experience in the history of philosophy, social and political theory and aesthetics.
- “The Great Cycle of the World: Cosmic Perspective and Spiritual Practices in Foucault and Hadot”, in Marta Faustino & Gianfranco Ferraro, eds., Ethical Questions in the Late Foucault, Bloomsbury, forthcoming.
- “Jean-Marie Guyau on Life and Morality” (with Keith Ansell-Pearson), in Mark Sinclair & Daniel Whistler, eds., Oxford Handbook of Modern French Philosophy, Oxford University Press, forthcoming.
“Is an Art of Living Possible Today? Foucault and Canguilhem on the Norms of Life”, in Jean-Marc Narbonne, Hans-Jürgen Lüsebrink & Heinrich Schlange-Schöningen, eds., Michel Foucault. Repenser les rapports entre les Grecs et Les Modernes, Vrin & Presses de l’Université Laval, 2020.
- “Guyau and Nietzsche on the Temporality of Epicurean Pleasure”, in Vinod Acharya & Ryan Johnson, eds., Nietzsche and Epicurus, Bloomsbury, 2020.
- “Guyau’s Spinoza: Between Epicureanism and Stoicism”
Parrhesia: A Journal of Critical Philosophy, 32, 2020.
- “Jean-Marie Guyau’s Presence and Absence in the History of Philosophy”
Pli: The Warwick Journal of Philosophy, Volume 30: Restoration and Resistance, 2019.
- “Pleasure and Self-Cultivation in Guyau and Nietzsche” (with M. Dennis)
The Agonist (Nietzsche Circle, New York). Volume X, Issue II, Spring 2017.
- “Hacia una Historia de las Prácticas Filosóficas en Michel Foucault y Pierre Hadot”.
Konvergencias. Filosofía y Cultura en Diálogo (Buenos Aires), Número 24, 2017.
- “Towards a History of Philosophical Practices in Michel Foucault and Pierre Hadot”.
Pli: The Warwick Journal of Philosophy. Special Volume. Self-Cultivation: Ancient and Modern. 2016.
- “An Archaeology of Silence: experience and power in Michel Foucault’s Madness and Civilization”.
“Uma arqueologia do silêncio: experiência e poder na História da loucura de Michel Foucault”. Cultura e Fé (Porto Alegre), 2013.
- "Michel Foucault and Hellenism: Subjectivation and the Care of the Self”.
“Michel Foucault e o helenismo: subjetivação e cuidado de si”. Intuitio (Porto Alegre), v. 4, 2011.
- “Art from a Sociological Point of View: Jean-Marie Guyau’s Aesthetics and Minor Sociology”.
“A arte do ponto de vista sociológico: a estética e a sociologia menor de Jean-Marie Guyau”. Cultura e Fé (Porto Alegre), v. 132, 2011.
- For a full list of publications, please visit my profile on Academia.edu.
- “Life and Norms: Foucault and Canguilhem”.
Foucault at Warwick, 2020.
- “Georges Canguilhem and the Notion of Crisis in the History of Medicine”.
Warwick Continental Philosophy Conference. The University of Warwick, 2020.
- “Decadence and Degeneration: Between Sickness and Health” (with L. Serini).
Nietzsche, Psychologist of Décadence (Seminario Permanente Netzscheano). Ca’ Foscari, University of Venice, 2018.
- "The Vitality of the Norm: Ways of Life and Normativity in Foucault and Canguilhem".
Reinventing Philosophy as a Way of Life (Workshop). Monash University Prato Centre, Prato, Italy, 2018.
- "Nietzsche and Guyau on the Temporality of Epicurean Pleasure".
Art of Living / Art of Dying: Philosophical and Literary Perspectives (Conference). Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Lisbon, Portugal, 2018.
- “Jean-Marie Guyau, the Ethics of Epicurus: Pleasure and Duty in the History of Moral Thought”.
Modern Receptions of Epicureanism: Political Receptions and the Politics of Reception (MWP Multidisciplinary Research Workshop). European University Institute, Florence, Italy, 2018.
- “Guyau et Nietzsche lecteurs d’Épicure”.
Jean-Marie Guyau et ses contemporains (Conference). Université Paris 8 and Fondation Maison des Sciences de l’Homme, Paris, France, 2018.
- “Norma, filosofía y modo de vida: una lectura de Foucault con Canguilhem”.
V Congreso Internacional La actualidad de Michel Foucault (Conference). Universidad Complutense de Madrid. Madrid, Spain, 2018.
- “Foucault and the Enlightenment”.
The Legacy of the Enlightenment (Workshop). European University Institute. Florence, Italy, 2017.
- “Foucault on Bio-techniques: A Critical History of Norms”.
II Congreso Internacional Michel Foucault (Conference). Universidad de Granada. Granada, Spain, 2017.
“On the Politics of the Living: Foucault, Canguilhem and the Norms of Life”.
Reinventing Philosophy as a Way of Life (Workshop). Monash University, Prato, Italy, 2017.
“Vitalismo e Políticas do Vivente em Foucault e Canguilhem”.
I Workshop Natureza, Vitalismo e Ecologia: pensar o naturalismo filosófico. IMED University, Porto Alegre, Brazil, 2017.
“‘The Great Cycle of the World’: Knowledge of Nature and the Cosmologic Perspective of the Care of the Self in the Hermeneutics of the Subject”.
Government of self, government of others. Ethical and political questions in the late Foucault (Conference). Universidade Nova de Lisboa. Lisbon, Portugal, 2017.
“Is There a Politics of the Care of the Self in Michel Foucault?”
Foucault Circle 2016 (Conference). University of New South Wales (UNSW), Sydney, Australia, 2016.
“Way of Life, Spirituality and Care of the Self: the Reception of Hellenistic Philosophies in Michel Foucault and Pierre Hadot”
Prospects for an Ethics of Self-Cultivation: Modern Appraisals of the Hellenistic Legacy (Conference). Monash University Prato Centre. Prato, Italy, 2015.
“Libera Multitudo: Politics and Ontology in Spinoza’s Tratactus Politicus”.
Power Ontologies in Ethics and Politics (Conference). University of Queensland, Australia, 2015.
“Guyau’s Spinoza: Selections from La Morale d'Épicure” (with M.Dennis).
Power Ontologies in Ethics and Politics (Workshop). University of Queensland, Australia, 2015.
“Michel Foucault on Literature: Philosophy and Politics of Writing”.
Filosofia em Debate (Conference). Faculdade IDC. Porto Alegre, Brazil, 2014.