Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Support with Student Parking

Assistance with general tariff parking costs may be available if you are able to demonstrate that you meet the criteria for one of the following categories:

Category Evidence needed

1. You are a Blue badge holder. Please visit our accessibility pages for further information.

2. You are unable to use the online payment service as a result of having a long term condition/disability (without a blue badge) as defined by the Equality Act 2010 (financial factors excluded).

  • Appropriate supporting evidence printed on headed paper, signed by a qualified professional and dated within the last three months.

3. You are the main registered personal carer for a close relative, and you are required to provide personal care on a regular basis and need to have a car at your term-time address to travel to provide this care (financial factors excluded). Please note that parental responsibilities are not included in this category unless there are personal carer responsibilities because of a long-term condition/disability.

  • Appropriate supporting evidence that confirms you are the main registered personal carer, dated within the last three months.

4. You have dependents of primary school age (11 or under) who live with you at your term-time address, and that address is over 3 miles away from the University. Students with dependent children who live within a 3-mile radius will not be eligible for this support.

  • Copy of your child’s birth certificate or a child benefit letter to support your application. Other documents may be accepted but must have both yours and the child's name and DOB on them.
  • Copy of documentation listing your current address dated within the last 3 months.
5. You are unable to use public transport because of having a long-term medical condition/disability (without a blue badge) as defined by the Equality Act 2010 (financial factors excluded).
  • Appropriate supporting evidence, signed by a qualified medical professional and dated within the last three months.
6. You compete at international level in sport and your training facilities are more than 3 mile radius from campus.
  • Proof of a selection/squad membership needs to come from a performance director at a recognised national governing body.
  • Copy of documentation listing your current training address dated within the last 3 months.

Frequently asked questions

What assistance would I receive if I'm approved?

You would be offered the staff parking tariffLink opens in a new window rates for the period defined by the student parking team. Charges are reviewed on an annual basis.

I don't fit into the above categories, what can I do?

If you do need to bring your car to campus, limited parking is available to students in general car parks. You can pay for this by following the instructions on the car park signage.

How long is assistance available for?

If assistance is offered, details on what assistance and the duration will be confirmed to you.

When will I hear back from you?

During academic year 2023/24, we aim to consider evidence on a fortnightly basis, so you should expect to hear back within 21 days.

In some cases, we may reply asking for you to confirm details or provide extra evidence.

If assistance is not offered, can I appeal against the decision?

No, the decision is final. Unfortunately, we are unable to engage in any appeals process.

Can I have assistance because I am struggling to find a parking space on campus?

Unfortunately not. Parking is limited on campus, and general parking is available on a first come first served basis only. You are not entitled to park in a disabled bay without displaying a valid Blue Badge.

I need assistance because I am finding parking too expensive

Unfortunately, financial considerations do not form part of the decision making process. We would encourage students to explore alternative modes of transport where possible, such as our local bus operators National Express & Stagecoach who provide discounted passes if they purchase monthly, term or annual tickets. Alternative travel options within the University and their eligibility can be found online at

Students facing financial difficulty may be eligible for Hardship Funding from the University, however this does not include travel or parking costs. For further information about the Hardship Fund, please visit

I need assistance because I live on campus and want to park near my accommodation

If assistance is offered, location requirements will be given consideration.


If you have any queries that aren't answered above, please email
  • From early January, you'll need to register on the new staff portal with your vehicle and payment details. You may do this here.Link opens in a new window A test £1 transaction will be made to check the payment details are valid, however this will not be taken out of your account.
  • If you have an existing permit, it remains valid alongside the existing pay by phone until the end of January.
  • Charges in the new system will begin from February.
  • If you have any remaining parking scratch cards, these will also no longer be valid from the 1st February 2022. If you hold any remainder in stock, please contact the outlet which you purchased these cards for a refund. Refunds will no longer be issued after the 1st March 2022.
  • If you are a blue badge holder, please follow the instructions on our "accessible parking"Link opens in a new windowpages to obtain free blue badge holder parking.
  • No, you will not be required to pay for parking or register your motorcycle if you use our dedicated motorcycle parking facilities.