Regulations Governing Library Regulations
22 General Library Regulations
These Regulations are supplemented by Library Rules which are published separately and are available from the University Library. These Regulations shall have precedence over the Rules and no Rules shall be approved which are in conflict with the principles established by the Regulations. The Librarian will review and amend Library Rules to supplement these Regulations from time to time in consultation with the Administrative and Professional Services Group.
'Library' refers to the Central Library, The Learning Grid and any other facility managed by the Librarian on behalf of the University. These Regulations apply to all constituent parts of the Library unless specific provision to the contrary is included or displayed in the site concerned.
Unless otherwise stated these regulations also apply to the Library of the Mathematics Institute.
(1) All persons who use the Library undertake to observe University Regulations and Rules.
(2) The Librarian shall at all times have authority to maintain good order in the Library and may exclude or suspend from their use any user who infringes the Regulations or Rules.
(3) It is a condition of use of the Library that users may be required to show for inspection all books and resources materials in their possession, whether these belong to the University or not, and to show for inspection the contents of cases, bags, other receptacles and coats taken into the Library.
(4) Users shall be held responsible for, and shall have to make good any loss or damage to materials on loan to them, or being used by them in the Library, or to the building, fixtures and furnishings.
(5) Locked Library facilities (such as lockers or Quiet Rooms) may be inspected and items stored inappropriately may be removed.
(6) The Librarian may delegate all or any powers vested under these Regulations.
(a) The following may access and borrow materials from the University Library. Loan entitlements and normal loan periods are listed in the Library Rules.
(i) Members of the academic staff including honorary and visiting academic and research staff.
(ii) Registered students of the University.
(iii) Members of staff of the University.
(iv) Retired members of staff who are members of the Retired Staff Association.
(v) Lay members of the Council.
(vi) Warwick Graduates.
(vii) Staff on other contracts provided that the application has the support of their home Department.
(b) Access to other Library facilities, such as the Learning Grids, will be available to agreed members as specified.
(i) Members of the academic staff including honorary and visiting academic and research staff – all facilities.
(ii) Registered students of the University – relevant facilities dependent on student designation.
(iii) Members of staff of the University – all facilities.
(vi) Warwick Graduates – The Learning Grid University House, for access to Student Careers and Skills only.
(c) The following may register to use the Library. Details of the facilities provided to such users and the requirements for registration (including any charges) are listed in the Library Rules.
(i) Academic staff and research postgraduates from other universities.
(ii) Taught postgraduates and undergraduates from other universities.
(iii) Those attending Open Studies or other approved University courses for the duration of their course.
(iv) Any other person with proof of need.
(d) Library membership cards are not transferable. Any loss of the membership card must be reported immediately to Library staff and in the case of University cards to the University House main reception.
(e) Users are responsible for informing the Library of every change of address or email address. Email notices are sent to the University mail service address of students. Individual students are responsible for forwarding email to any other email address they may use.
(8) No books or resource materials shall be removed from the Library or from the Short Loan Collection without having been issued.
(9) Materials on loan shall be returned by the due date, or earlier if recalled by the Librarian. Failure to return an item recalled for the use of another user by the date specified will be treated as an offence. Loans are normally renewable unless a previous recall or reservation applies.
(10) Any item loaned to a user may not be transferred to another person. The loaned item remains the responsibility of the user until it is returned to the Library and the loan cancelled.
(11) No degree shall be awarded to any student who has not returned all borrowed materials to the Library and paid all study-related debts due to the University.
(12) Members of the University shall return all materials to the Library before they leave, withdraw or resign, regardless of due dates. The University reserves the right to bill former members for costs incurred in attempting to recover such materials.
(13) Materials borrowed from other libraries through the inter-library loan (document supply) system for users are subject to University of Warwick Regulations in addition to the conditions imposed by the owning library, including any penalties.
(14) Where members borrow material to support students undertaking a course of study they remain personally liable for the borrowed material and any fines or charges incurred.
(15) Good order must be maintained in all areas and while moving around the Library. Certain areas within the Library are designated for silent or quiet study.
(16) The consumption of drinks and cold food is permitted only in designated areas of the Library.
(17) Mobile phones, portable computers and related devices may be used only in designated areas.
(18) Users are required to vacate the Library at designated closing times, upon the sounding of an alarm or at other times when asked to do so by Library staff.
(19) The reservation of places is not allowed. Books and other articles left for more than 30 minutes may be removed by Library staff. Articles left unattended at closing time may be removed.
Legal and licence compliance
(20) Users must comply with the provisions of any relevant legislation such as laws relating to intellectual property rights including copyright and data protection. The former includes the terms of any licence agreement between the University and a third party which governs copying, photography, the use of software and access to data or other resources.
(21) The Library shall not undertake or authorise to be undertaken any copying that infringes the current law of Copyright or a License held by the University from the Copyright Licensing Authority or similar agency that has been produced in infringement of the current law of Copyright. Users shall be required to sign a declaration that a request for copying does not infringe the current laws of Copyright nor the terms of any License held by the University for copying before such a request is carried out.
(a) Fines for failure to conform to the regulations relating to loans and to conduct in the Library will be levied on all users at rates published in the Library Rules:
(i) Failure to return materials on time may result in the sending of a bill for replacement plus a handling charge.
(ii) Should an item charged for under this Regulation be found and returned, normal rates of fines and a handling charge will apply and the charge for the loss will be refunded.
(b) Failure by any user to pay fines or other charges levied in accordance with these Regulations may result in suspension of borrowing privileges and/or exclusion from the Library.