Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Hazardous Waste

The University has a legal obligation to:

  • Classify its waste to check if it’s hazardous
  • Separate and store hazardous waste safely
  • Use authorised businesses to collect, recycle or dispose of its hazardous waste – check that waste carriers are registered and waste sites have environmental permits
  • Fill in the parts of the consignment note that apply to the University – keep one copy and give 2 copies to the carrier collecting our waste
  • Keep records (known as a ‘register’) for 3 years at our premises where waste was produced or stored.
Classification of Hazardous Waste

Wastes that are harmful to human health, or to the environment, either immediately or over an extended period of time are deemed to be hazardous waste. This might include chemical wastes, printer toners, electrical equipment containing hazardous components such as cathode ray tubes or lead solder, eg computer monitors, televisions, fluorescent light tubes inc. energy-saving light bulbs etc. The Environment Agency provide guidance and advice on Hazardous Waste and explain how to segregate hazardous waste for safe disposal.

Transporting, moving and disposing of hazardous waste

You should evaluate the recycling, recovery and disposal options available for the types of waste produced.

Ensure that it is transported by a registered or exempt waste carrier; accompanied by a consignment note and transferred to a facility that holds a suitable environmental permit. You can check that your carrier is registered or has an exemption in the public register.

Whenever hazardous waste is moved or transferred it must be accompanied by a consignment note. The regulator uses consignment notes to track the movement of hazardous waste and ensure it is managed responsibly until disposal. If you produce hazardous waste you must keep copies of consignment notes for three years. You must store and transport all hazardous waste with the correct packaging and labelling.

When the University disposes of hazardous waste it must employ a competent contractor to do so on its behalf. The University has a duty of care to ensure that any waste it has created is dealt with in an appropriate manner. Departments managing this process will have a legal obligation to comply with the above.