Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Overseas Travel - Health and Safety

Where travel overseas is on university business relevant University Policies and rules apply.

Please follow the Overseas Travel Process flowchart and read the Guidance on Overseas Travel Procedures for further information.

Those travelling overseas must assess any risks associated with the planned travel using the Pre-Travel Risk Assessment Form. The person authorising the travel should assure themselves that the arrangements are acceptable and retain a copy of the Risk Assessment form.

The pre-travel risk assessment form should be completed with input from all those travelling, and from others where appropriate. Separate guidance is also provided for conducting FieldworkLink opens in a new window in connection with your visit, which incorporates things to consider whilst preparing your risk assessment and whilst contingency planning.

The Insurance ServicesLink opens in a new window team will also need to contacted and overseas travel must be booked using the University's Travel Management CompanyLink opens in a new window.

Information for those with protected characteristics who wish to travel overseas on University business is available from Social Inclusion Group.Link opens in a new window

Travel Vaccinations may be required and need to be completed before departure. The University does not have an in-house travel clinic but further advice with regards obtaining travel vaccination, First Aid and medical equipment e.g. syringes/needles, mosquito protection, water purification, can be sought from MASTA - The Medical Advisory Service to Travellers Abroad.

Occupational HealthLink opens in a new window can be contacted if further advice is required.

Any accidents, untoward incidents and health and safety issues must be reported to the Health and Safety Department.

Always check if there are any visa requirements before booking any travel AND the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO)Link opens in a new window website for political and security travel risks as there may be restrictions in place for travelling to certain destinations. Requirements for visas may differ depending on your nationality.

Those travelling overseas should register with the Solace Secure website as this provides travellers with up to date SMS Travel Alerts relating to relevant travel destinations that they subscribe to. Access to this resource has been provided by the University's Insurance Company. See External Links for more information.

Travellers with significant health issues, allergies, require long term medications, or who may be pregnant should seek advice and written confirmation from their GP or specialist with regards to their fitness to travel and forward this to the person responsible for deciding on the requirement for travel. Under these circumstances your GP/Specialist will need to know details of your intended travel arrangements and any activities which you are planning to do, such that they can make a decision on your fitness to travel. Where persons have been deemed unfit to travel, any travel restrictions recommended by the GP must be adhered to.

Medications – travellers should carry adequate medical supplies/medications to last the duration of their trip and make sure they have enough medical supplies/medications available in their hand luggage to last until they reach their destination and seek advice from their travel operator regarding any restrictions which may apply. A Medical Certificate from a GP may be required if having to take particular prescription medication, or when travelling for periods exceeding 3 months. It is also recommended to note any restrictions that relate specifically to any drugs wished to be taken whilst travelling overseas as some medications, (even over the counter medications) may be banned in some countries.