Skip to main content Skip to navigation

EEA nationals and the new UK Immigration scheme

The deadline for applying for the EU Settlement Scheme has passed.

EU nationals who were resident in the UK by 31 December 2020 needed to apply for the scheme by 30 June 2021. 

Even if you have a permanent residence card issued by the Home Office under the EEA Regulations, you still needed to apply for the scheme to gain a status under UK law.

If you have not applied you may lose your right to remain in the UK. You must urgently check the UK Gov webpage for the EU Settlement Scheme for advice on what to do next.

You should also contact the HR Immigration team to discuss your situation.

For those that have obtained their settled or pre-settled status under the scheme, you won’t be required to produce evidence for the University that you have applied and we won’t need to perform a new right to work check for you after 30 June 2021.

If you change employer after 30 June 2021 you will be required to show you hold this status to the new employer.

Information for EU nationals on proving your UK Immigration status

Click here for a UK Government guide on how to prove your UK immigration status for work, rent or travelling.

European nationals arriving in the UK to work from 1 January 2021.

  1. Most European nationals (except Irish nationals) not already in the UK will need to obtain a visa in advance of arriving to be able to come to work in the UK from 1 January 2021 onwards.
  2. The new immigration system and rules apply equally to any European and non-European nationals who require a visa to work in the UK from January 2021.
  3. The new Immigration system provides visa routes for skilled and specialist occupations, but does not provide a specific route for general low-skilled work.
  4. Applicants will need to meet the criteria and score the required number of points for the relevant immigration visa.
  5. The main immigration route for skilled work is the Skilled Worker Visa. Check if the role is eligible for sponsorship for a Skilled Worker visa here.
  6. For academics and researchers, the Global Talent Visa route may be applicable.
  7. Visa applicants will need to pay the relevant visa fees. In addition, if they are coming to the UK for more than 6 months, they may have to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge of £624 p.a. which gives access the UK’s National Health Service (NHS).
  8. For new starters who require a visa to work in the UK departments should state this on the new offer form and contact Immigration for advice.

Immigration Support Scheme to help with UK visa costs

The Immigration Support Scheme has been put in place to provide support to help all its international staff who are required to apply and pay for visas to work at Warwick. By providing a reimbursement scheme up to a capped amount, we hope to reduce some of the financial burdens associated with obtaining visas for our employees and their families to come to, and remain in the UK by providing financial support. Details of the scheme can be found on the HR webpages here.

European nationals visiting the UK from 1 January 2021

  1. European nationals will continue to be able to travel to the UK for holidays, short trips or academic visits of up to 6 months (but not work) without needing a visa. You will be able to cross the UK border using a valid passport. For academic visits of between 6 and 12 months you will usually need to apply for a Standard Visitor visa.
  2. At the border you must provide a valid passport or travel document. Your passport should be valid for the whole of your stay in the UK. You may also be asked to prove that you are eligible for the activities you want to do, you have arranged accommodation for your stay, you will leave at the end of your visit and you are able to support yourself and your dependents during your trip (or have funding from someone else to support you).
  3. Irish nationals are not affected by these changes will continue to be able to enter and live in the UK as they do now.
  4. Those visiting the UK should ensure they have adequate travel insurance that covers healthcare including cover for pre-existing medical conditions for the duration of their trip.
  5. European visitors with a non-UK driving licence will still be able to drive in the UK and will not need an international driving permit (IDP).
  6. Those taking their own vehicle to the UK with vehicle insurance issued in the EEA should carry an insurance green card or other valid proof of insurance.


Travelling to Europe from the UK

UK Nationals visiting the EU from 1 January 2021

  1. UK nationals must check their passport before travelling to ensure it has a minimum of 6 months left and be less than 10 years old (even if it has 6 months or more left). Otherwise you may not be able to travel.
  2. You will not need a visa for short trips to most EU and EEA countries and Switzerland. You will be able to travel to countries and stay in the Schengen area for up to 90 days in any 180-day period without a visa. The whole visit to Schengen countries should be within the limit. Different rules will apply to Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus and Romania. If you visit these countries, visits to other EU countries will not count towards the 90-day total.
  3. The 90-day limit for visa-free travel will begin on 1 January 2021. Any days you stay in Schengen countries before 1 January 2021 will not count towards the 90-day limit.
  4. At border control, you may need to show a return or onward ticket, show you have enough money for your stay and use separate lanes from European citizens when queueing.
  5. You must obtain travel insurance that covers your healthcare including cover for pre-existing medical conditions. If you have an EHIC card this will cover you for limited medical cover in Europe until its expiry date. EHIC cards are being phased out and a new GHIC card (Global Health Insurance Card) is being implemented by the UK Government to replace EHIC cards. The GHIC card does not cover you in Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein unlike the EHIC card.
    7. If driving to Europe, check you have the right driving documents. Check the website if you require an international driving permit. If you are taking your own vehicle, you will also need a ‘green card’ and a GB sticker.
    8. You may need a visa or permit to stay for longer, to work or study, or for business travel. You need to check the country you are travelling to for its own entry requirements and if you are required to have certain documents. You can check the entry requirements for the country you are visiting here.
  6. If you provide services like legal services in a European country, you need to check that your professional qualifications will be recognised in the EU.


Quick Links

Information for EEA nationals on proving your UK immigration status.

See the University Brexit pages for the latest information about Brexit and what you need to do if you are an EU national or a UK national travelling to the EU.


Click here to take you to the HR Immigration homepage.