Skip to main content

Immigration and Visas

Contact Us

For staff or academic visitor related immigration queries, please email the HR Immigration shared inbox

HR Immigration Updates

Regular Immigration and Right to Work updates are produced by HR Shared services and these can be found under 'Recent Updates' here

Right to Work checks

All workers and employees must have the legal right to work in the UK and departments must carry out checks against original acceptable documents as evidence of this before the person starts work using The 'Right to Work Copying Template and Checklist'. This form and copies of documents are sent to HR Administration team with the Request to Appoint (or Request to Engage a Temporary/Occasional Worker or Part-time Teacher for the variable payroll).

For more detailed guidance there is a 'How to check right to work in the UK' guide produced by HR which details how checks should be carried out. The link to this document is here. Anyone who is responsible for undertaking Right to Work checks must read this guide to ensure checks are carried out correctly as there are serious penalities for the University for non-compliance.

Information for EEA Nationals

Information about the EU Settlement scheme which opens in March 2019 for those currently living in the UK can be found here

Information about the public test phase of the scheme open prior to the full scheme opening can be found here.

Information about the latest UK Government proposals for EEA nationals arriving in the UK after the exit date 29 March 2019 in the event of a 'no deal' can be found here.

Points Based Immigration System visas

Nationals from outside of the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland are subject to immigration control. This is administered by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).

For those nationals coming to work or study in the UK, the most common route through which to gain the right to work in the UK is through the points-based immigration system, although there are other relevant routes depending on family or ancestral links the person may have with the UK.

The points based immigration system has five routes called Tiers, although Tier 3 is not used. Some of the Tiers require the individual to be sponsored by their sponsoring organisation to be able to apply for permission to work or study in the UK.

Links to information about the Tiers and the sub-categories within the Tiers for are the most common routes for employees and students at the University are listed below.

For those employees or students who have a family member or partner who is a non EEA national who wish to join them in the UK, the visa applied for depends on their own situation. For non EEA family members of non EEA nationals who are working or studying in the UK, it is possible for to apply as a ‘dependant’ of the family member’s visa category. For non EEA family members of EEA nationals, they can apply for a family permit to join their family or a partner for a short or long stay if they’re living in the UK. For further details see the website.

Visitors to the UK 

For visitors to the UK who will not be working for the University (for example academic visitors), the standard visitor visa route should be used. Please see the box below for further information.

Information about Visa Routes for non EEA nationals

HR Immigration updates

Tier 1 (General) visa

For recent updates click here.

Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa


Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) visa

 Information about EU and EEA Nationals right to work in the UK

Tier 2 (General) visa

EU and EEA Nationals including information about the EU Settlement Scheme which opens in March 2019.

Information about the public test phase of the scheme which opened January 2019 here.

Croatian nationals - restrictions have ceased from 1 July 2018

Tier 4 (Student) visa


Tier 4 (Doctorate Extension scheme) visa

Further Information for non EEA Nationals

Tier 5 (Temporary Worker - Government Authorised Exchange) visa

Biometric Residence Permits (for new staff from overseas)

Standard Visitor visa (includes Business and Academic Visitors)

Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS)

Visitor (Permitted Paid Engagement) visa

Police Registration

Turkish Work Visa

Settlement (Indefinite Leave to Remain)

Visa Fees

Information for International Staff