The League is organised and delivered by Warwick Active in partnership with the University of Warwick Badminton Club. The league will be managed by the Warwick Sport Sports Engagement Officer. The Sports Engagement Officer (Eugene DeVille) and the league activator (Matthew Gray) will have final say on all matters of the league.
- The squad may consist of between 4 and 10 players, with 4 players forming a team for each match.
- Once the team captain has paid/registered the team, all other team members are required to sign up. The captain will be emailed about this process after registering their team.
- All players are expected to register their participation to enable Warwick Sport to follow Government guidance on and Covid-19 policies including track and trace.
- Teams with unregistered players may potentially be removed from the league. Random spot checks will take place throughout the league to ensure all participants are registered.
- Each team is restricted to one first team university team player or two second/ third team players.
3. General Rules
- Unless stated, play will follow the BWF (Badminton World Federation) Rules.
- A team will consist of 4 players, where each pair play both pairs of the opposing side, after which the two pairs split to form two new pairs which play only one rubber each, this giving a total of six rubbers. Each player must play three rubbers. The result of the match shall be a draw if each team wins three rubbers.
- Each rubber will be best of 3 to 21.
- 3 points will be awarded for a win, 1 for a draw and 0 for a loss.
- If a full team of 4 cannot be fielded, the opposition will get a walkover (21-0) for the matches that cannot be played. I.e. if only 3 players can be fielded the match can still be played, but the team of 3 would only be able to win a maximum of three rubbers, meaning they could draw. If only two players can be fielded, the maximum number of rubbers the team of two could win is two. This would be a loss but could still have an effect on the score.
- All fixtures for the term will be uploaded onto to the Facebook group by the League Activator (Matthew Gray).
- If a team cannot make a fixture, they must inform the organisers as soon as possible and at least 48 hours before the match (i.e. by 7pm on the preceding Tuesday). Failure to do so will result in a walkover for that match and the match will not be rescheduled.
- The date, time and location of the fixture can only be changed with the permission of the League organisers.
- Results will be entered by the league activator not team captains.
4. Equipment & Referees
- All matches will be played using shuttles which will be provided by Warwick Sport.
- All matches will be self-officiated between teams with an organiser there to assist when possible.
- Sharing rackets will not be permitted due to the increased risk of covid transmission.
5. League position
League position shall be decided upon:
- Total league points obtained
- Points difference
- Matches won
- Head to head record between the two tied teams.
6. League refunds
- League refunds will only be issued if Warwick Sport are required to cancel the league for any reason such as another Lockdown occurring whereby it will be impossible to complete the league.
- Should Warwick Sport be required to cancel the league for any reason, a refund will be issued on a pro rata basis (amount allocated to each scheduled game) and NOT the initial fee paid upon entry into the league.
- Refunds will not be issued for teams failing to attend fixtures at any point during the time allocated for the league.
- Where possible and as long as enough notice (48+ hours) is provided to the league organiser (Matthew Gray) and Warwick Sport will reschedule the fixture for a date and time during the same term. It is the team’s responsibility to turn up and attend the rescheduled game.
- Warwick Sport will not refund any teams who fail to turn up to rescheduled games.
Disputes during play shall be put to the League organiser and resolved. The league organiser’s decision is final.
Any cancellations, queries or disputes are to be sent to Eugene Deville, Sports Engagement Officer (eugene dot deville at warwick dot ac dot uk)
Should a player indulge in any actions that are deemed by the organiser to be detrimental to the good spirit of the league, then the organiser is entitled to take whatever action is deemed appropriate. This may include, but is not limited to, suspension of players, loss of position/points or exclusion from the competition. Such penalties are subject to the approval of the League Organiser, whose decision is final.
To prevent minimise the risk of transmission of Covid-19 we request the following.
Prior to leaving your house to take part in the league, all individuals should go through a process of self-screening on a match to match basis. Please check that you:
- Do not have symptoms of a high temperature (feeling hot, feeling cold, shivers and/or feeling under the weather).
- Do not have a new or persistent cough.
- You do not have a loss of taste or smell.
- You have not been in contact with a person with suspected Covid-19 within the past 14 days.
- You have not been advised to self-isolate due to a third party from another setting (i.e. school) that has been infected with Covid-19. No one within your household has Covid-19 symptoms as outlined above, which would require the whole household to go into isolation as guided by the UK Government.
- You have not returned from a foreign country in the last 14 days that the UK Government requires people to quarantine on return – A non-travel bridge as defined by the UK Government.
Once you have successfully gone through the process of self-screening and are able to compete, we ask that you:
- Arrive at the venue ready to compete. This to avoid congregating in the changing rooms.
- Maintain social distancing whilst entering the venue.
- Wash their hands with warm water and soap for at least 20 seconds.
During the Game, we ask that you:
- Maintain social distancing where possible, especially when the shuttle is out of play.
- Avoid touching your face, eyes, nose and mouth.
- Sanitise your hands at the beginning of each set
After your game has finished we ask that you:
- Sanitise your hands.
- Leave the venue maintaining social distancing
If you have any questions on the league contact eugene dot deville at warwick dot ac dot uk
Good Luck and Enjoy Everyone.