Can you please give me some insight into writing a good UCAS personal statement for an Economics application?
For a good personal statement, we are looking to see enthusiasm for the subject, wide reading and motivation. Focus on the subject rather than extra-curricular activities, but non-academic information can be if it supports your academic achievements. You will need to evidence your ability to apply academic theories/ideas to what is happening in the news, work experience, part time work, etc.
You may find the following reading useful:
- The Economist magazine
- Tim Harford - The Undercover Economist
- Thomas Piketty - Capital in the Twenty-First Century
- Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner - Freakonomics
- Leonard Mlodinow - The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives
- Adam Smith - The Wealth of Nations
- Prov Avinash Dixit (Princeton University and former Warwick Economcs Profess and Head of Department) and Prof Barry Nalebuff (Yale) - The Art of Strategy