Please read our student and staff community guidance on COVID-19
Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Study Abroad Immigration FAQs

Is the 'Short-term Study visa' a multiple-entry visa?

If you apply for this visa before you travel, that is you applied for it in your country of residence, then you will receive a 'Short Term Study Visa' Vignette in your passport that is valid for 6 months.

This is a multiple-entry visa - Click here to see a sample image.

If you are a non-visa national and you decide to apply for this visa on arrival in the UK, you will receive a 'Short Term Study visa' stamp on your passport.

This is a single-entry visa. - Click here to see a sample image.

This means if you will leave the UK during your period of 'study abroad' at Warwick, for example, for a weekend trip to France, you need to apply for this visa again on re-entry to the UK.

If you do not apply on re-entry, you will be entering as a visitor, and will no longer have the Right to Study.

You must, therefore, remember to bring all the documents you will need to make the application, including your 'STSV Support Letter', information leaflet and financial evidence in your hand luggage when you return to the UK.

What are the benefits of applying for a Tier 4 visa?

A Tier 4 visa entitles you to work in the UK.

Therefore, if there is a possibility you may want to gain some work experience or volunteer experience whilst at Warwick, then a Tier 4 visa would be most appropriate.

Our dedicated Tier 4 web pages provide details of how to apply for this type of visa.

With a Tier 4 visa you will be given some additional time to travel in the UK after your course end date.

Therefore, if you intend to remain in the UK and travel for a short period after your study abroad period has ended, you may wish to apply for a Tier 4 visa.

What are the benefits of applying for a 'Short Term Study Visa'?

It is cheaper than a Tier 4 visa.

Apply for this visa if you do not intend to work in the UK and will leave the UK within 30 days of the course end date.

If you wish to come to the UK for a short holiday prior to commencing your studies, this is not prohibited but it may raise doubt about your genuine intention to study in the UK when applying for this visa.

If you decide to do so, make sure that you put on your visa application form that you intend to arrive in the UK before your course start date, the reason why and what you intend to do during these few days.

Our dedicated 'Short Term Study Visa' web page gives details of how to apply for this type of visa.

What are the restrictions of a 'Short Term Study Visa'?

Should you decide to study for longer in the UK it is not possible to switch to a Tier 4 visa within the UK.

You are also unable to work in any capacity, including unpaid work, or take a work placement in the UK.

You may be able to do some volunteer work but only in very restricted circumstances, for example:

  • You can only volunteer to help a charity or voluntary or public sector organisation
  • You cannot have a contract of employment
  • You cannot take the place of an employee
  • You cannot receive payment except for travel reimbursement or subsistence allowance

With this visa you will be expected to leave the UK within 30 days of the end date of your course, or by the visa expiry date, whichever is first.

Your course end date is stated on the Short Term Study Visa Support Letter you received from the Student Mobility team.

What is the difference in healthcare provision in the UK if I apply for a 'Tier 4 visa' or a 'Short term Study Visa'?

If your course is longer than 6 months, then you will need to pay the 'Immigration Health Surcharge' as part of your Tier 4 visa application process.

For most students it will be £150 if your course is between 6-10 months long.

You will be able to use the National Health Service (NHS) and be entitled to free hospital treatment.

If your course is shorter than 6 months, you do not need to pay the 'Immigration Health Surcharge' regardless of whether you apply for a Short-term Student visa or Tier 4 visa..

However, you will have limited access to healthcare provision in the UK and may consider arranging private medical insurance before coming to the UK.

For more information, please refer to the GOV website and the UKCISA website.

What if I already hold a valid immigration permission (UK residence document)?

All non-UK, non-EU/EEA/Swiss nationals must hold an immigration permission that allows them to study in the UK.

Not all visa types allow for outright study, for example:

  • General Visitor Visas
  • Business Visitor Visas

These visas usually only allow for incidental study of up to 30 days.

If your visa allows you to study, then you can use this for your Right to Study Check.

If your visa does not allow for study, you will need to get a STSV or a Tier 4 visa.

Please click here to see our Right to Study / Visas That Allow Study At The University of Warwick.

When and how do I complete online enrolment with Warwick?

Online enrolment is usually open about 2-4 weeks before the start of your course at Warwick.

Once you have accepted your unconditional offer, you will be contacted by email automatically when enrolment is open and you will be given a link to the online enrolment portal.

If you need any help completing the online enrolment form, check the 'Permission to Enrol' webpage in the first instance.

What is a 'latest course start date' and what does it mean?

Students applying for a Tier 4 visa will notice that their CAS includes a latest course start date; this information will also be included in the visa support letter issued to students applying for a short-term study.

The latest course start date is the date by which students are required to have arrived in the UK, completed online enrolment and presented a valid visa at an in-person 'right to study' event.

If you are unclear about your latest course start date or envisage that you will be unable to arive before then, please contact the Study Abroad team for further advice.