Skip to main content Skip to navigation

When can I obtain a Student Visa?

All Student Route applicants require a valid Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number to make an application. A CAS is a live virtual document which confirms that an institution is willing to act as your educational sponsor. You only need to submit the reference number with your visa application, which will allow the UKVI to see your personal details and details of your course of study, including details of any fees you have paid to the University. If you have received and accepted an unconditional offer from the Postgraduate Admissions Service, the admissions service will normally be responsible for assigning your CAS. Once you receive your CAS, you can make a Student visa application online 3 months before the 'course start date' as stated on your CAS if you are applying from within the UK, or 6 months if you are applying from overseas. For further information please refer to 

Please be aware that you can only apply for a Student Visa from within the UK if:

  • 1) The date you submit your application is no more than 3 months before your course start date
  • 2) If you have previously been granted a Student or Tier 4 (General) UK visa,your new course must represent Academic Progress from your previous Student or Tier 4 (General) Visa
  • 3) Your current visa must not have expired on the date you make your application, and must not be a visit visa or leave granted outside of the immigration rules
  • 4) There must be no more than 28 days gap between the expiry date of your current visa and your Warwick course start date

If you do not meet the above criteria, you must apply from the country in which you are living outside of the UK, otherwise your application will be rejected or refused.

When will I receive my CAS?

You will receive an email regarding your CAS once you have an unconditional offer which you have firmly accepted. The email will be sent approximately 3-5 months before the start date of your course. It is important that you respond to this email as it asks you to confirm your personal details. We cannot issue you with a CAS until you have responded to us.

How will I receive my CAS?

Once you have an unconditional offer that you have accepted and have responded to the email mentioned above, you will receive your CAS via email. You do not need a hard copy of this for your visa application. Occasionally, the visa application centre in your home country may ask for a hard copy of your CAS. In this case, please present a print-out of the email containing your CAS number.

Further Information

Please visit: for further information on student visas and Immigration support. This link will provide more detailed information on the visa process, including what documents you must prepare and submit and how to complete your Student visa application form, and will provide you with important information on immigration.

You do not have permission to access the remote content.