Skip to main content

Certificate of Good Conduct

If you have lived outside of the UK for a continuous period of 6 months or more in the past 5 years you need to obtain a criminal record check from the country(ies) where you have lived during that period. We call this a Certificate of Good Conduct, but the name varies from country to country. You will also need to apply for a DBS check (UK criminal records check) in addition to the Certificate of Good Conduct.
Check whether you will be able to get one via the Government website below before you apply for a DBS check, as you need BOTH checks to volunteer with children or vulnerable adults. Contact us if you are not sure, we may be able to give advice from our previous experience.
The DBS application and the non-UK check can be in process simultaneously.
Applying for a Certificate of Good Conduct

The application process for criminal records checks or Certificates of Good Conduct varies from country to country.

You can find guidance on applying for overseas checks on the website:

Warwick Volunteers can provide you with a letter explaining why the check is needed if this is required by the embassy or police authority.

On receiving the Certificate of Good Conduct, you must bring it to the Warwick Volunteers Office in the SUHQ or Student Reception in Senate House to check and update our records. Please keep your Certificate in a safe place, Warwick Volunteers does not keep a copy.

The Certificate of Good Conduct is valid indefinitely as a record of your conduct during your stay in that country.

Translation and related expenses
  • You should request that the Certificate of Good Conduct is issued in English or obtain a certified translation of the certificate.
  • Retain the receipt/s of any payment made.
  • Complete an expenses form and attach your receipts so costs can be reimbursed. Bring your completed form to the Warwick Volunteers Office during our opening hours. If receipts are in a foreign currency we will convert this to Pounds Sterling.
  • You will be able to pick up the cash from the Students' Union Finance Office, 2nd Floor, SUHQ two working days after submitting your claim. They are open 10am-3.00pm, Monday -Friday or you can request that the money is paid by bank transfer.

If you have any questions please ask a member of staff or you can contact us at or on 02476 572763.

Warwick Volunteers can only support student volunteers from the University of Warwick to obtain a Certificate of Good Conduct.