Existing members: University of Warwick staff and students
other universities (SCONUL) | Retired staff | Members of the public | School and FE college visitors
Personal belongings Keep your belongings safe! : How to take care of your personal belongings in the Library.
- You automatically become a member of the Library when you start your course or your appointment
- Your University ID card is also your Library card. You will need this to get into the Library and to borrow items. To avoid creating delays at the entrance gates please have your card ready to scan on the card readers
Lost University ID cards
Use the online form to report a lost or stolen card or report to staff at University House reception desk during normal office hours. For more information visit Lost cards.
Important information: Until you report your card as lost, the card will remain valid and so you are liable for e.g. any access to buildings, any books borrowed from the Library using the card.
There may be an occasional need for children (under the age of 18) to accompany academic staff or students when they visit the Library. The Library cannot, however, assume responsibility for the safety of children. We require that customers closely supervise their children all times, as the Library is an adult environment and it is not an appropriate venue for young children for a prolonged period. Library staff may have to ask customers to leave if they feel that their children are disturbing other customers or are not adequately supervised.
Computers in the Library are provided for the use of students and staff, with a valid customer name and password and should not be used by children.
- Prospective students may join the Library as external borrowers before their course begins.
- Prospective postgraduate students can apply for membership from 1st July each year and prospective undergraduate students from 1st September
- An external borrower may borrow up to 5 items at any one time
- Items from our Short Loan Collection are not available for loan using an external borrower card
- The card will be valid from the date of issue until the end of the first week of the Autumn term when a student card should have been issued
- Reference-only Membership is permitted if you wish to use the Library before the set date.
- You may apply for membership providing you show photographic proof of your identity and a letter confirming your offer of a place on a University of Warwick Postgraduate or Undergraduate course. An application form will need to be completed for the registration to be processed
- Access to e-resources, where licences permit, is provided on the single computer reserved for this purpose on Floor 1 of the University Library, to registered customers visiting the University Library in person
- If you are a Warwick Graduate you can become a member of the Alumni Association and apply for a smart card to use the Library as an external borrower
- As an external borrower you may borrow up to 5 items at any one time, although items from our Short Loan Collection are not available for borrowing by Warwick Graduates' Association members
- Access to electronic resources, where licences permit, is provided on the single computer reserved for this purpose to registered customers visiting the Library and is located on Floor 1
- To access your Library Account online you should log in as a visitor
- Warwick University is a member of the SCONUL Access scheme which allows customers from other universities and colleges to access the Library. Please contact your own institution for details of how to register
- To join the Library as a SCONUL member, you will need to bring a print of your SCONUL approval email along with your Library card or photo ID card from your home institution. You will need to visit during Main Library Helpdesk opening hours (Monday-Sunday 08:30-21:30). To check if the Main Library is open before your visit, please see our opening hours
Please note: Due to pressure on study space during our summer exam period, we will not be registering new SCONUL users users or renewing SCONUL passes between 6 May and 16 June 2019
If retired staff wish to access the Library they should join the Retired Staff Association by submitting an application form. If they wish to access the Library, retired staff should request a University of Warwick retired staff card from central HR. The card will enable retired staff to enter the Library and to borrow books.
Access to e-resources, where licences permit, is provided on the single computer reserved for this purpose on Floor 1 of the University Library, to registered customers visiting the University Library in person. The e-resources are to view only. Please ask at the Floor 1 Helpdesk for login details. Please note that External Borrowers are unable to access the full range of electronic resources due to licensing restrictions.
Constitution of the Retired Staff AssociationSee also Constitution of the Retired Staff Association.
Members of the public aged 18 and above may have access to the Library to consult our collections for reference use only. A day visitor pass gives reference access to the Library for the day of issue and are issued during staffed service hours only. You will need photographic proof of your identity to obtain a day visitor pass.
Please note: Due to pressure on study space during our summer exam period, we will not be registering new reference users or renewing reference passes between 6 May and 16 June 2019.
Sixth Form students can request individual access to the Library providing they have a personalised, individual letter of introduction printed on school headed paper with an original signature from an appropriate representative of the sixth form (photocopies are not acceptable), or an email from an appropriate representative of the sixth form which comes from their school email address. Students will also need to and show photographic proof of their identity. More information about resources and visiting the Library.
Information for all external visitors
- Library visitor access is limited to the Main Library, no access to other Library sites (on or off campus) is included. The Librarian or approved representative reserve the right to refuse access to any external customer
- Access to resources: most materials are readily accessible within the Library. Certain materials, such as some University of Warwick PhD theses, Special Collections and Store items are closed access. To arrange, in advance, to view these items, please contact mylibraryaccount at warwick dot ac dot uk or telephone 024 7652 2026. To arrange to study archives held at the Modern Records Centre, please contact archives at warwick dot ac dot uk
- Plan your visit: in term time the Library is very busy particularly between 11:00-17:00 Monday-Friday, and as study spaces are limited, if possible please visit outside of these times
- All Library visitors are required to comply with the Library rules and regulations
- All external visitors can apply for an external borrowers' membership
*photographic ID may include, but is not limited to: passport; driving license; identity card; school or college identity card; bus pass showing name and photo; CitizenCard; work ID badge