Existing members: University of Warwick staff and students
- You automatically become a member of the Library when you start your course or your appointment
- Your University ID card is also your Library card. You will need this to get into the Library and to borrow items. To avoid creating delays at the entrance gates please have your card ready to scan on the card readers
Lost University ID cards
Use the online form to report a lost or stolen card or report to staff at University House reception desk during normal office hours. For more information visit Lost cards.
Important information: Until you report your card as lost, the card will remain valid and so you are liable for e.g. any access to buildings, any books borrowed from the Library using the card.
There may be an occasional need for children (under the age of 18) to accompany academic staff or students when they visit the Library. The Library cannot, however, assume responsibility for the safety of children. We require that customers closely supervise their children all times, as the Library is an adult environment and it is not an appropriate venue for young children for a prolonged period. Library staff may have to ask customers to leave if they feel that their children are disturbing other customers or are not adequately supervised.
Computers in the Library are provided for the use of students and staff, with a valid customer name and password and should not be used by children.
- Prospective students may join the Library as external borrowers before their course begins.
- Prospective postgraduate students can apply for membership from 1st July each year and prospective undergraduate students from 1st September
- An external borrower may borrow up to 5 items at any one time
- Items from our Short Loan Collection are not available for loan using an external borrower card
- The card will be valid from the date of issue until the end of the first week of the Autumn term when a student card should have been issued
- Reference-only Membership is permitted if you wish to use the Library before the set date.
- You may apply for membership providing you show proof of your identity (preferably photographic) and a letter confirming your offer of a place on a University of Warwick Postgraduate or Undergraduate course. An application form will need to be completed for the registration to be processed
- Access to e-resources, where licences permit, is provided on the single computer reserved for this purpose on Floor 1 of the University Library, to registered customers visiting the University Library in person
- If you are a Warwick Graduate you can become a member of the Alumni Association and apply for a smart card to use the Library as an external borrower
- As an external borrower you may borrow up to 5 items at any one time, although items from our Short Loan Collection are not available for borrowing by Warwick Graduates' Association members
- Access to electronic resources, where licences permit, is provided on the single computer reserved for this purpose to registered customers visiting the Library and is located on Floor 1
- To access your Library Account online you should log in as a visitor
- Warwick University is a member of the SCONUL Access scheme which allows customers from other universities and colleges to access the Library. Please contact your own institution for details of how to join
- Staff, Research students, Full-time and Part-time Postgraduates, Distance Learning and Placement students from participating institutions may borrow up to 5 items at any one time. Items from our Short Loan Collection are not available for borrowing by visitors
- Full-time Undergraduates from other universities and colleges are not entitled to borrowing privileges within the SCONUL Access scheme and have reference-only access to the Library.
- Access to e-resources, where licences permit, is provided on the single computers reserved for this purpose on Floor 1 of the University Library, to registered customers visiting the University Library in person
- To access the Library please call at the Library Welcome Point and complete a registration form. Please bring your SCONUL approval e-mail and your current staff/student card as proof of your identity. If your University ID card does not have a current photograph on it photographic proof of identity is required.
If retired staff wish to access the Library they should join the Retired Staff Association by submitting an application form. If they wish to access the Library, retired staff should request a University of Warwick retired staff card from central HR. The card will enable retired staff to enter the Library and to borrow books.
Access to e-resources, where licences permit, is provided on the single computer reserved for this purpose on Floor 1 of the University Library, to registered customers visiting the University Library in person. The e-resources are to view only. Please ask at the Floor 1 Helpdesk for login details. Please note that External Borrowers are unable to access the full range of electronic resources due to licensing restrictions.
Members of the public may have access to the Library to consult our collections for reference use only.
- A day visitor pass gives reference access to the Library for the day of issue and are issued during staffed service hours only
- You may apply for reference-only membership of the University Library free of charge providing you show proof of your identity (preferably photographic). An application form will need to be completed for the registration to be processed
- Reference-only Membership allows unlimited access to the University Library Monday to Sunday 8.30-21:30. Access to printed materials on the open shelves and copying facilities using photocopy cards that can be purchased from the Helpdesk on Floor 1
Sixth Form students can request individual access to the Library providing they have a personalised, individual letter of introduction printed on school headed paper with an original signature from an appropriate representative of the sixth form (photocopies are not acceptable) and show proof of their identity (preferably photographic). More information about resources and visiting the Library.
Access to e-resources, where licences permit, is provided on the single computer reserved for this purpose on Floor 1 of the University Library, to registered customers visiting the University Library in person. Walk-in customer e-resources.
Most materials are readily accessible within the Library. Certain materials, such as some University of Warwick PhD theses, Special Collections and Store items are closed access. To arrange, in advance, to view these items, please contact mylibraryaccount at warwick dot ac dot uk or telephone 024 7652 2026. To arrange to study archives held at the Modern Records Centre, please contact archives at warwick dot ac dot uk
In term time the Library is very busy particularly between 11:00-17:00 Monday-Friday, and as study spaces are limited, if possible please visit outside of these times.