Please note that this Certificate is available only to Global Sustainable Development students. Registration must be received by Friday of Week 10 (Term 1), 17:00
The Certificate of Sustainability has been designed collaboratively, and will be co-delivered by the University Estates Sustainability Team and the Global Sustainable Development Academic Convenors. This is a unique endeavour at The University of Warwick, allowing close collaboration between academic and service departments.
The primary focus of the Certificate is the process of institutional environmental auditing. Participants will learn a variety of accessible auditing processes, before engaging in a real-life consultancy project for one specific area of university operation. Groups will act as sustainability consultants meeting with stakeholders and decision-makers to collectively develop a written brief; working as a team, groups will generate necessary data through an appropriate audit methodology. Student consultants will then analyse and write up their findings and recommendations, which will be presented back to Estates and University of Warwick decision-makers.
Please note that we can only offer 20 places on this Certificate.
Principal Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the Certificate of Sustainability, students will be able to demonstrate:
- A critical engagement with the prevalent approaches to assessing sustainability in the workplace
- A critical understanding of the scope and limitations of current UK legislation around sustainability
- An ability to reflect on the various stages that are involved in undertaking an audit
- An ability to design and undertake a sustainability audit, and to analyse and reflect on their findings
- An ability to communicate their findings and recommendations to a group of stakeholders
- Sustainability Audit and recommendations for Sustainability Team to implement (Group Submission)
- Reflective work collaboratively managed by the GSD Academic Convenor and Sustainability Team (Individual Submission)