|Email: Lauren dot Bird at warwick dot ac dot uk|
|Tel.: +44 (0) 24765 75979|
|Room: R3.32 (Ramphal Building)|
Senior Teaching Fellow
Hons. BA History, Celtic Studies and English (University of Toronto); MA Postcolonial Studies (Goldsmiths College, University of London); MSc Demography and Health (London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine); PhD Epidemiology and Public Health (UCL).
- IP201: Sustainability
- IP110: Quantitative methods for undergraduate research
- IP306: Impact evaluation: frameworks for implementing and assessing transdisciplinary interventions
- IP309: Quantitative research methods: understanding relationships in data
My research interests combine approaches from social epidemiology, demography and sociology to investigate health and child development. I am particularly interested in gender dynamics in families, social inequalities in health, family structures and implications for family well-being and child development. My work combines sociological theories with quantitative techniques to analyse birth cohort and panel studies in the UK.
Of particular importance to me are power dynamics and structures of inequalities and how these forces shape individuals. I am particularly passionate about this outside of my research in terms of equity in education and university life and have been a member of several relevant committees in the past on improving university culture.
- Dawson, A., Pike, A., & Bird, L. (2015). Associations Between Parental Gendered Attitudes and Behaviours and Children’s Gender Development Across Middle Childhood. European Journal of Developmental Psychology, 0(0), 1–20. https://doi.org/10.1080/17405629.2015.1109507
- Dawson, A., Pike, A., & Bird, L. (2015). Parental Division of Household Labour and Sibling Relationship Quality: Family Relationship Mediators. Infant and Child Development, 24(4), 379–393. http://doi.org/10.1002/icd.1890
- McMunn, A, Bird, L., Webb, E., Sacker, A. (2020) Gender divisions of paid and unpaid work in contemporary UK couples. Work, Employment and Society, 34(2), 155–173. https://doi.org/10.1177/0950017019862153
- Bird, L., Sacker, A., & McMunn, A. (2020). Relationship satisfaction and concordance in attitudes to maternal employment in British couples with young children. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships. https://doi.org/10.1177/0265407520919987