Creating the possible: interdisciplinary methodologies for futures research, experimentation and impact
Professor Sarah Pink, Monash University, Emerging Technologies Research Lab (ETLab) and Professor Noortje Marres, University of Warwick, Centre for Interdisciplinary Methodologies (CIM), are bringing together the work of two world-leading research units in an innovative project that will produce novel interdisciplinary approaches in futures research, experimentation and impact.
Both groups have pioneered innovative research methodologies for anticipating technological, environmental and social futures. CIM champions an inventive approach to interdisciplinary research which configures new interfaces between fields by combining creative, computational and scientific methodologies. ETLab members pioneer new interdisciplinary methodologies, which combine social science with engineering, IT, design and creative practice to imagine and anticipate futures.
This project consolidates the expertise and experience of both research units to advance an innovative research agenda: to create an interdisciplinary interface for developing new methodologies for futures research which advance beyond existing predictive techniques. It will respond to enduring societal challenges: how emerging technologies, including Artificial Intelligence and Automated Decision Making, will participate in human futures; and how future environments will be shared with machines and other non-humans in ethical, sustainable and equitable ways.
- Professor Sarah Pink. Professor, Department of Design, Monash University
- Professor Noortje Marres. Centre Director, Centre for Interdisciplinary Methodologies (CIM), University of Warwick.
- Dr Yolande Strengers. Associate Professor, Computer-Human Interaction and Creativity (CHIC), Monash University
- Dr Nerea Calvillo. Assitant Professor, Centre for Interdisciplinary Methodologies (CIM), University of Warwick
- Dr Shanti Sumartojo. Associate Professor, Department of Design, Monash University
- Dr Noami Waltham-Smith, Associate Professor, Center for Interdisciplinary Methodologies, University of Warwick
- Dr Debora Lanzeni. Senior Research Fellow, Computer-Human Interaction and Creativity (CHIC), Monash University
- Dr Melisa Duque. Research Fellow, Department of Design, Monash University
- Dr Cagatay Turkay. Associate Professor, Centre for Interdisciplinary Methodologies (CIM), University of Warwick